bricktop

box swapping your thoughts on this

31 posts in this topic

In my time I have owned a Cyrus 8vs2 Integrated Amp, a Cyrus Pre 8vs2 (with two X power power amps) and a Cyrus DAC XP (with two Mono Xs) and I have loved them all, and each one was a noticeable step-up from my previous set-up. Can't really comment on your question, but if you like the Cyrus sound, go for it. Having said that, there are some exceptional value DAC XPs about at the moment, keep your eyes open for one :)

im thinking of getting rid of my audiolab m-dac and my exposure xxv integrated and getting the cyrus 8xpd, whats the thoughts on this?

would this be classed as an upgrade or more of a side step?

my speakers are usher cp 6311

thanks

as a long term member of the cyrus forum seems to me you are swopping 2 separate boxes for a very small one with all the compnents shoved together in a small box. surely a damm good dac and an damm good amp are best kept apart sonically and practically

im thinking of getting rid of my audiolab m-dac and my exposure xxv integrated and getting the cyrus 8xpd, whats the thoughts on this?

would this be classed as an upgrade or more of a side step?

my speakers are usher cp 6311

thanks

I would class it neither.

I would say that if you currently have a bathroom in your house, then it would be like taking a pneumatic drill to it, demolishing the whole lot, setting fire to the remains, then in future taking a shit in a bucket placed in the smouldering ruins.

Just my opinion, mind you.

I would say that if you currently have a bathroom in your house, then it would be like taking a pneumatic drill to it, demolishing the whole lot, setting fire to the remains, then in future taking a shit in a bucket placed in the smouldering ruins.

Dont try and sugar-coat it Rich;-)

Dont try and sugar-coat it Rich;-)

I did, but the truth would have been unpalatable.

beautifully and expressively put as usual !!!

Well, well - for a change, Chumpy is making more sense than rabski. :P

Praise Be, for the box swappers.

These wonderfully generous people take the financial hit & release lots of 2nd hand kit onto the market*

*unless they're greedy feckers asking daft money of course

As usual very eloquently put Richard. Have you thought about entering the clergy. :upgrade:

Cyrus has a very particular sound which to me is like nothing else. If you like that presentation it can sound awesome. About 18 years ago when I first heard an all Cyrus system it was indeed and a jaw dropping moment. Not for me but I can understand addicts loving it.

thanks for all the replies, interesting read,

basically the cyrus was offered to me at a decent price which ive turned down now and i believe its sold.

Ive had my setup a little while now and fancy putting some money in and upgrading,

im happy with my ushers so want to keep them and keeping the m-dac for now so i guess im looking at changing the exposure,

its really hard auditioning as i want to buy second hand and so far ive only owned the exposure so haven't got a lot to compare with anyway, i think i'll end up having to buy something try it along side my exposure and then decide to keep or resale, can imagine it will always cost me though if im not keen on something and have to resale.

the bake off thing sounds like a good idea are there any happening in Cornwall?

Check the bake off threads and the 'wammers welcome' thread see if anything is going on near you.

Mind you I have done a few 3-4 hour drives to go to bake offs.

The biggest bake off of all is Scalford, you will hear kit there you never even knew existed.

I'd like to know what the modern Cyrus amps 'really' sound like. I tried the Cyrus CD8x just cos it was cheap and I wanted a small form cd player and I love it, I think it's a great cd player. I was going to look for a replacement when I had more money but I haven't bothered. I agree with what Jerry says. From reading about Cyrus ont web I was expecting thin, bright, etchy hard and unlistenable and strangely it is the opposite, in fact it is slightly sweet and laid back but very detailed. As Jerry says the bass isn't big in complete terms but it is nicely textured and holds the bass tune superbly.

I'll not be against Cyrus kit in the future. It's compact and stylish, feels reasonably well made and can be had cheap!

I've been using the top 4 box Cyrus cd/dac set for about 3 years now and it's as good as digital gets IMO. The only problem is reliability. Both the DAC and transport shat themselves just out of warranty forcing them to have costly repairs ( and inevitable option to upgrade to latest spec). Can't fault the sound though. Dunno about the amps though.

As a former Exposure owner I also know you'd have to seriously invest to better it if you are sticking to solid state integrated. Something like a good push/pull KT88 or 6550 valve amp would be a good move though. Thought about a Puresound integrated valve amp or something like that?