Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nicpom

Power Supplies for Beresford DAC

72 posts in this topic

I have been listening to my dac for a few days of swapping back and forth from the MX22Y maplin 13.8v psu and the original psu supplied with the dac, of the 3 battery power sounds best to me, the maplin job hums too and also vibrates, so now i am in two minds, stick with battery or exchange the MX for the variable one and pay the extra £15.decisions decisions.

Hello

I've been trying to source a high quality PSU for my Apogee MiniDAC,which has similar spec 6v-14v

Having been let down by Welborne Labs with their PSREGHC kit,I contacted sjostromaudio and am gonna build the JSR-03 super reg PSU.

Hopefully this will improve things,been using a Skynet SNP-8080 smps with isn't bad.

Rob

thrunobulax wrote:

I have been listening to my dac for a few days of swapping back and forth from the MX22Y maplin 13.8v psu and the original psu supplied with the dac, of the 3 battery power sounds best to me, the maplin job hums too and also vibrates, so now i am in two minds, stick with battery or exchange the MX for the variable one and pay the extra £15.decisions decisions.

What battery do you use?

Miller-8 wrote:

thrunobulax wrote:

What battery do you use?

Hi, the 12v 5.0ah SLA from maplin £20, it will last for 2 days at around 8hrs a day.

thrunobulax wrote:

With a second one on charge from a £10 maplin solar panel.

I am now convinced that battery is best, i got the DC psu cos i got fed up with the running down, but having 2 i can keep the charge levels high so i am sticking with battery.

What would we all do without maplins ??

:D

After some investigations, I concluded that Mapling PSU is really this:

http://www.minwa.com.hk/newDesign/products/product_details_power_supply.asp?id=1474&code=1

from Taiwan ;-).

With these informations, I found an Italian seller and ordered it for 40 Euro shipment included. Not bad, still 1/3 of the DAC cost...

Besides using it for the DAC, I will test it deeply. Maybe I will understand something more.

I got the Maplin-like PSU. I tested it yesterday for several hours.

Now somebody will not appreciate the following comments, but this is what I found. All limited to my listening capability and particular system, still...:geek:

I used both my Stax electrostatic Classic System and Audio Physic Spark speakers with Naim Nait 5 HiCapped. Findings were quite similar, but obviously the headphones gave me a more accurate picture.

With the PSU set to 12 Volt, sound is identical to standard PSU supplied with the DAC. So, no evident flaws in the new PSU.

At 13.5 Volt, the sound is different. I would not define it better::nup:

- Bass is more controlled and drier

- Mids are a bit forward

- Highs are also controlled but less transparent

- Soundstage is restricted in width and depth, with a stronger central image

- Global presentation is tight and homogeneous, but that analog and tridimensional sound I liked is gone

All the above differences were not huge, but audible. 5-10 %, just to put a number.

Now this could not be considered so interesting, Just my personal tastes, different from others'.

The intriguing thing is that when I connected again my blamed linear big PSU, noticed that all the differences listed above were present, and more pronounced.

More, when I listened to the same music using the analog outputs of my DVD-SACD player Philips DVD963SA, I found the same differences, more evident again!

But, I considered the Beresford DAC a real improvement with respect to the Philips player, just because of that tridimensional, transparent and analog-like sound.

So, using an higher voltage, higher current power supply, DAC performance should improve (this is also the opinion of its designer), but what I found is that the best you can obtain is the performance of a GBP400 Philips universal player.:cs:

Or this player is axceptionally good (and basically I wasted my money on an inferior external DAC), or those are not really improvements, for this DAC.

Please note that the DVD963SA audio quality was considered well over its price in all reviews and forums. Inside, it has state-of-the-art chips (many are the same used in Lavry DA10 DAC), surely technically superior to Beresford, and also clocks and PSU are quite good. Many tweaked this player with even better clock and PSU, claiming to have obtained first class performance.

Still, the Beresford DAC, with its standard PSU, is able to deliver a more musical, realistic and pleasing sound.

However, this result seems to me more a lucky coincidence than the result of some special design. It is classical case of less accurate but better sound, like many tube designs.

On the contrary, if you try to improve this DAC, and the PSU is a classical upgrade, you probably obtain a bit better specifications, a bit more precision, but basically you are limited by the compromises made in components and engineering to keep the price so low.

:off:And you loose that "sweet spot" of small defects balancing together to deliver that particular musicality.

Probably the problem here is that this device was presented by some fans as a miracle DAC. Actually is an exceptional value DAC. And the exceptional aspect is the design balance obtained.

It is better to leave it as it is, as I will definitely do. And look elsewhere for performances on and absolute scale.

Now if somebody totally disagree with my findings and comments, that's fine. It's why forums exist and are so interesting to contribute on.:peace:

I had a similar problem, trying to power my Superclock 4 with a 12v wall wart. Sounded flat as a pancake, but the clock hooked into the players PSU sounded fine.

I am now building my own quality unit....

nicpom wrote:

Probably the problem here is that this device was presented by some fans as a miracle DAC. Actually is an exceptional value DAC. And the exceptional aspect is the design balance obtained.

It is better to leave it as it is, as I will definitely do. And look elsewhere for performances on and absolute scale.

Excellent follow-up Nipcom, yes, obviously some on here will disagree, but we have in essence an excellent budget DAC doing what you'd expect and no more, and a cheap wall-wart doing remarkably little to improve it.

Some of us won't be disagreeing with your findings ;)

churz, eofs

earl of sodbury wrote:

nicpom wrote:

Excellent follow-up Nipcom, yes, obviously some on here will disagree, but we have in essence an excellent budget DAC doing what you'd expect and no more, and a cheap wall-wart doing remarkably little to improve it.

churz, eofs

I wont be diasagreeing with that write up as i have come to the same conclusion after messing about with different psu`s, and i agree it is that tridementional anlogue sound i like myself and its there on 12v battery power but not so on the higher voltage psu.

I said a while back that FOR THE MONEY it is a great dac and hooked up to the meridian transport i now have, gives me a better sound than the 24 bit MF cdp i was using, so i am happy that i have it, i got back what i had spent on the MF player and this was enough to cover the cost of the transport and dac with a bit left overtowardsbatteries.

Imyself have never stated that it isa miricle dac, just good value.

Anyhow i dont believe in miricles:)

earl of sodbury wrote:

nicpom wrote:

churz, eofs

Im intrigued at how you can say about the Beresford doing no more than an excellent budget dac should, and going on my own findings, and Jerry's who tells us it has seen off far more expensive dacs, why would your findings be different to the majority of people who have bought one, moreover, have you tried one personally?

Or is it a case of how could one of these possibly be any good when it costs less than a ton?