Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Biscuit

Subs

40 posts in this topic

Ok, without wishing to start a stupid subs vs full range speakers debate, but what do folks think about adding a sub to compliment my stilettos? Not sure if I really want any more bass, but was thinking of trying a sub out to see what kind of difference it makes (also trying to avoid the relative expence of buying the 6's :cool:). Any small, musical subs that folks can recommend for me to try and demo?

yeah go for it,........if you want to loose that musical seamless coherence!!!!!

Subs, especially cheaper ones can really mess up the timing IMHO

Don't bother biscuit. I was thinking of getting a sub when i had my cyrus amp but now iv'e sorted the amp situation, the Skibos sing. A sub would just crap all over the lovely tunefull bass.

Biscuit, I demoed the Stilettoes and thought they were amazing but my personal taste was for a little more bass.

The guys in the shop recommended a Rel Quake as a good way to go but apparently setting the level could be a right pain.Nice and compact tho.

chezi.

Wait for it . . . . . . . he'll be here ina minute . . . . . you know who I mean . . . . . the man who has his own thoughts about subs . . . . . . any guesses who it might be? :D

I was thinking of something in the Ruark Log-Rhythm, price range?

Do you really think a sub of this sort of quality will ruin the balance of the speaker?

I doubt if i've even really heard what the Stilettos are capable with the X80 or Denon, maybe up coming demos of higher end amplification will change my mind with regards to the sub :bulb:

I had a Ruark Log-Rhythm. It was a nice sub but in a small room its a no-no. If you turned it up more than about a quarter of the way the sub would just take over the sound and it was a pain to set up.

Wait for it . . . . . . . he'll be here ina minute . . .

Do not want to let you down.... but for the first time on this new forum

SUBS ARE FOR WIMPS Buy a speaker 8 inch bass driver

my god even Russ Andrews sells a decent speaker

or a kit from Wilmslow Audio :cool:

so subs should stay in the land of AV is the general concensus?

Fair enough, tbh it was only a tired half idea, really want to concentrate on getting a better amp as the next step anyway.

Problem is, I never considered the Stilettos bass light, but then other people demoed and said there was not enough, then ART released the 6 with the bigger bass driver, and eventually i decided there wasn't enough bass :D

I'll have to go with the detractors on this one, Ive yet hear a decent sub combo, to me it adds a 'thick' bottom end to proceedings and can sound like the timing is out. Like I say Ive yet to hear oneand Ive no experience of the very expensive subs out there which do find favour.

Personally i feel theres no substitute for large cones if you want big, musical bass. Now if you want rumbles when watching your fav flick go for it.

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Wait for it . . . . . . . he'll be here ina minute . . .

Do not want to let you down.... but for the first time on this new forum

SUBS ARE FOR WIMPS Buy a speaker 8 inch bass driver

my god even Russ Andrews sells a decent speaker

or a kit from Wilmslow Audio :cool:

Or these lovely things: www.iplacoustics.co.uk

The S5tl is rather fine I believe.

Well I'm going to pitch in and say that I think a sub can work brilliantly for music, but it needs tobe a good one. I would look at the REL ST series which are specifically deisgned with music inmind and AV secondary. I am not by any means suggesting that you go for anything like the REL Stentor 3 I currently use but something compact like the REL Strata 5 would be worth auditioning with the stilletos. The advantege of the RELs is the huge amount of flexibility you have seting them up. They also use exceptionally good crossovers with very little or no leakage above the setting used and this enables them to be intergated seamlessly with almost any speaker system. I would definitely say you should least give it a go, speak to your local dealer who shouod be able to arrange a home trial.