Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldfogey

Music for walking down an aisle

19 posts in this topic

Well, I'm planning wedding music for someone and would like some ideas for non-standard pieces for the walk down the aisle after the ceremony. Must be joyous, rousing and playable by a mediocre organist.

Any suggestions?

Anything by Leonard Cohen.

I'll have a rummage through my organ scores to see what I can find, I think someone gave me a pile of music which I haven't looked at in detail which might have some stuff.

Otherwise...

If you are near London, a quick nip down to Chappell's of Bond Street (not in Bond street any more) to have a look at their selection (IIRC there is a series along the lines of organ music for weddings), or,

The Barbican's music library has a good selection of organ scores too. If you have problems borrowing, I could always loan you mylibrary card.

Sweelinck, Byrd, Gibbons?

Edition Peters used to have a series on english organ music of the 17th and 18th century, including stuff composed by the Wesleys (music as opposed to hymns and not just Charles but the rest of the family).

One of the Handel organ concertos? Sans orchestra of course. The tune is in my head, but I can't remember which one, will havea listen tonight. A transcription of the arrival of the queen of sheba? Not quite the right context I suppose as they leave the church. I've got a piano transcription of this lying around somewhere.

Walter Rummel transcribed quite a few of the Bach cantatas for piano, but you could easily play some of this on the organ manuals and 'fill' in the pedals.. I have a few of those lying around too.

Hope this helps. pm me if you'd like one of the scores; I could scan it and send it to you; the copyright is probably expired anyway.

Ed

Injector, Rabski, KennyK, thanks but I did put this in "Classical". The laughs much appreciated.

Ed, thanks for the suggestions. I'd thought of Sheba, the Rummel transcriptions are worth a look. I am in London, so the sources are spot on.

^^^ You were really asking for it, OldFogey.:lmao:

Loewe: I Could Have Danced All Night (from My Fair Lady)

Delibes: Flower Duet from Lakme (crowd-pleaser, great if the couple is flying via British Airways for their honeymoon)

Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance marches

off-beat alternatives:

Ravel: Bolero :P

Valdes: Ritmando Cha Cha Cha (salsa!:oj:)

cheerSS

ps: are you that "mediocre organist'? ;)

SSM wrote:

By the time you've crescendoed enough in Bolero for theguests to hear anything, the couple would have left the building!:raoflmfao:

Ed

epca wrote:

SSM wrote:

By the time you've crescendoed enough in Bolero for theguests to hear anything, the couple would have left the building!:raoflmfao:

Ed

The build-up can be prolonged by having the ditzy couple walk in infinite circles around the seated guests until the climax is reached.:green:

(and, btw, any idiot organist can learn this piece within two minutes:P)

SS

Find out the bride's favourite piece of music - sure fire winner :)