MF 1000

Musical Fidelity A370 Power amp

16 posts in this topic

Got home this afternoon after travelling over the other side of the country to collect a Musical Fidelity A370 power amp that I had won on eBay. For those of you unfamilier with this 'beast' it was made around 25 yrs ago as MF's answer to Krell power amps - and a beast it is weighing in at over 45Kg and around 300mm tall.

Its a Class A 185 watt per channel amp that draws 650 watts at idle......wont need the central heating - both sides on the amp are actually the heatsinks and heat up to around 60 Deg C !

here is the amp sat on top of my rack....best place to dissipate all that heat

photo13.jpg

On getting it home I took the top off to take some pics..and remove a load of fluff with a air duster !!....

photo17.jpg

The isnside of the amp is dominated by two huge torriodal transformers (its essentially a pair of monoblock amps in one box) with associated reservior capacitors, and 10 op amps per side bolted directly to the massive heat sinks.

photo14.jpg

torriods...

photo15.jpg

reservoir caps ....yes 10 22 000 uF Elna caps per channel !!

photo16.jpg

There is some evidence of overheating in the past on the top of the circuit boards...these amps were well known for this ....maybe an area to be sorted in the near future.

Once cleaned I connected it up...fed from the preamp output on my MF XA-1 (it has a passive output ) that currently feeds the Fostex 103 fullrange units and additional Kef T27 tweeters. I left my trusty MF A1000 (50 watts Class A super integrated amp) to drive the transmission line R50 bass units.

We put on Hugh Lawrie...St James Infirmary and WOW ....at my bake off I had thought that the midrange from the Fostex was lacking....but now it hits you full on - loads more detail and impact. Ive been trying all sorts of tracks since and every one is a step change for the better :D:D:D

The bonus on collecting the amp was the guys mother insisting I took the pre amp he had been using with it aswell...!! So I now have a Musical Fidelity MVT preamp

photo18.jpg

Ive tried it in my system, but currently it doesnt sound as good as the passive control via the XA-1...maybe it needs some TLC and upgrading.

Ill let you know how this progress with this beast....

Keith

that as they say , is a bloody big beastie laddie :doh: , it might settle down , any idea if its been in regular use , or stored over a long period ? looks awesome btw , first pic of the rack with each box getting smaller the lower you look is :nuts:

Jesus H Keith, that's bigger than my oven!

(Probably warms up hotter as well)> :)

Nice one Keith. The A370 is pure classic MF. I'm sure it has really given your choons a real can boost!

Its quite a big bruiser though, I can understand why the seller's mummy wanted it out of her house.:D 650W at idle is no joke though. You could make lots of espressos on the side if you opted for Class D instead.:P

As for the MVT pre not sounding as good as the X-A1... I'm not too surprised. I'd used my X-A2 as a pre into Quad 909 and it is more than decent. Clean clear and dynamic... a notch better than Arcam A28's. So don't be too quick looking for a new preamp.

Enjoy:D

SS

That looks like my old pre/power amps :geek: I sold it to a guitarist chap who wanted to use it for his guitars. Mk1 A370, the best one in my view. They sound best after 3 hours warm up when the power amp is fully warmed through, I warn you! Lots of heat and the pre is good, so if it's not sounding good get it sorted :^

I bid for one of these once; didn't win it. Probably just as well, as our electric bill is high enough as it is!

According to my BG electicity monitor...my set up now consumes 1200 watts ...!!!

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you familiar with Janes Choc Fudge cake ....the amp also doubles up as a superb fudge cake warmer ;)

photo19.jpg

perfect end to a good day ..... a new amp amd warm fudge cake ...mmmmm

yep with bob , leave it on idle and use it a slow cooker when your at work , food and tunes when you walk through the door :P

Nice one, always lusted after one of these since seeing one at a Dealers in Bath many years ago....get the fudge cake off and get the pies on:D

So my room at Scalford will be official pie warming room will it ????

best of all I got the beast for £700 ...and the MVT for free :D

I have one of these running the bass in my 4 way. Very fine amp and agree it has a fab mid-range as I have run mine with it before. I had all the caps replaced in mine as a precaution and have run it now for a couple of years with no problems. It's a keeper!

I have one of these running the bass in my 4 way. Very fine amp and agree it has a fab mid-range as I have run mine with it before. I had all the caps replaced in mine as a precaution and have run it now for a couple of years with no problems. It's a keeper!

Was that just the signal caps Richie ??