Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gaul

Speakers upgrade for my MF X-150/X-Ray v3 combo

21 posts in this topic

Speakers upgrade for my MF X-150/X-Ray v3 combo...

I am contemplating the ProAc Response D15

Had my kit demoed with ProAc (standmounts) and liked what ProAc could do in small package (good bass, not efficient enough for standmounts, but OK for floorstanders).

Not too large

Superb quality, finition

Other recommendations are welcome :bulb:

The Spendor S3e could be magic with your MFs. The X-150 has enough juice to drive them to enthralling levels. The Spendors will make you realize how filthy your Castle tweeters are.;) And the bass is deceptively effective for such slimline boxes.:^

cheerSS

Hey, never ever dare criticizing my Castle Richmond 3i :D

Bought them deliberately - wife does not know that obviously - as they could do a nice pair of speakers for a ... 2nd system :cool:

Nicely built in a lovely cabinet, very good mid-range, very faithful and never boring, very good for voice, easy to drive. :^

Saying that, I could do with more bass for my 1st system :dude:

All Castle speakers impart a nasal (pinched nose) quality to male voices. And they squash female ones to a slightly shrewdish cacricature.

Tweeter seems perfect until you hear what's available elsewhere, and then you realize how the highest notes trail off into a meshy shriek ---> which impairs aerial separation and HF textures.

as for bass...:raoflmfao::zip:

My fellow ex-users CJ and Sod will be around soon to educate you.;)

SS

ps: hey, don't hate me. I'm just doing my bit to egg you on to upgrade your out-of-date 2005 setup.:nuts:

Did you try the Proac Response 1SC's (I know they are standmounts but absolutely amazing IMO).

Spendors are good as well!

Try 1SC and D15 at home with the rest of your kit in your room .

You may be surprised.

Also try the most expensive Art you can find within budget. 2nd hand or not

IMHO they wipe the floor with Proacs which are my second favourite brand. Its where I put my hard earned cash on on my last three purchases. Illusion Monitors, then Monitors+ Subs (ala Biccy) and finally and I do mean finally Impressions.

As a tight **** it takes something special to make me part with money :cool:

Listening to Snow Patrol at the mo. Even makes them listenable

These guys have some s3es in at the mo, at the very bottom of the page:

http://www.moorgate.demon.co.uk/forsale.htm

Not a complete bargain but having bought exdem from them I will bet they are indistinguishable from a new pair.

I've had the s5es and s6es and give em both a very strong recommendation.:^

Gaul posting in the main section. Whatever next? :P

Darren's 1.1's in the classifieds would be a fantastic buy for a mere £400. I reckon they'd go well with the MF kit. Where's that crazy Dutch Dynadude Erik??

I thought the Response 1Sc wiped the floor with the D15 on the end of your kit: D15 is sluggish in the bass & was very dull with rock (Zeppelin, Six.bySeven, for example); lovely mid & treble tho`.

HiFiWigWam wrote:

I wouldn't put triangles with MF X kit.

It would have to be Spendor for my money.

Will have to disagree with the big man - after all I use Triangle with X-series kit.

Both are pretty neutral which helps, but the Triangles add mustard, bringing out the MF's best. Suppose the best answer, as ever, is go listen.

GofA

Glens of Antrim wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
I wouldn't put triangles with MF X kit.

It would have to be Spendor for my money.

Will have to disagree with the big man - after all I use Triangle with X-series kit.

Both are pretty neutral which helps, but the Triangles add mustard, bringing out the MF's best. Suppose the best answer, as ever, is go listen.

GofA

Triangle, ProAcand Spendor will work well, but give you very differenttoppings on the same sonic pizza - Triangles will up the excitement and speed, and give you more detail and involvement, but theywon'tmaskwhat the MF does wrong - since you're presumably immune to that, they are a good and very affordable option. Both ProAc and Spendor suit well tonally, but neither exactly"helps" with MF's bass slowness...

ART with MF was one of the nastiest things I ever heard - some ART with other electronics can sound great - but this combo is a no-no IME/IMHO.

Neat Elites were damn nice, but too revealing in the treble; Neat Motive 1s aresuboptimal with MFIMHO.

Since you obviously (and rightly IMHO) like the Castle sound, then perhaps look for a secondhand/ex-dem pair of Richmond 7i floorstanders - rare though...

FWLIW, J-M Reynaud are what I would try if I was to return to the MF fold - if you can face owning French speakers!

churz, eofs

Choice might also be dictated by Ebay as I will go S/H this time.

;)I keep my Richmond 3i... as an excuse for my 2nd system (MF X-150/X-Ray v3 might do a nice 2nd system in the long term)

So these floorstanders must accomodate more power than current amp (X-150)