karlinamillion

Oxford University rewrites gender dress code

22 posts in this topic

Dealer

I note that the approved legwear is limited to trousers, skirts, socks and stockings. When I was an undergraduate 30-odd years ago my female friends just laughed at the idea that any of the proctors (all middle-aged men) would dare to check whether their stockings were really tights or not. Back then the rules had only just been relaxed to allow women to wear trousers if they wanted to. A woman I knew turned up for one of her finals papers, in English, having been caught in a sharp shower on the walk from her college. Her trousers were soaked from somewhere above the knee to the hems. She said she couldn't face 3 hours under stress in wet clothes so once she was in the exam hall she took the trousers off. Her gown preserved her modesty to some extent. But several of us felt this was a strategem to distract the neighbouring male students (she was a looker) and thereby move her up the results table !

The fact is that when it comes to the few days of final exams any student who says he/she isn't seriously stressed out is lying. The whole ritual of dressing up and heading down to the exam venue can take your mind off what's to come. It used to be said that if your hands were steady enough to tie the bow tie then you were probably in a good enough state to get at least an honours degree !

VB

The new rules come after a motion by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer society (LGBTQ Soc) was passed by the students' union earlier this year.

What differentiates "Queer" from the other categories? Just curious to know.

Students, eh? :?

I particularly like pomosexuals: people who identify as Pomosexual are attempting to redefine, reassess and protest current essentialist-bound labels surrounding sexual orientation. The word is a portmanteau of Post-Modern and Sexual.

Bet they're a laugh down the pub.

Students, eh? :?

I particularly like pomosexuals: people who identify as Pomosexual are attempting to redefine, reassess and protest current essentialist-bound labels surrounding sexual orientation. The word is a portmanteau of Post-Modern and Sexual.

Bet they're a laugh down the pub.

Would they use the Ladies or the Gents?