stewartwen

Tannoy dual concentric.

23 posts in this topic

If it's been standing for a while & used with the surround buggered, it will need re-coning and new surrounds and maybe the spiders (which are worth doing anyway), so this is really a £1K+ pair of speakers, which is why it sold for less than £600. The cabs are next to worthless, maybe £100 if you are lucky, as nobody wants big ugly Tannoy cabs that flap about (I think you can tell I am not a fan of Tannoy cabs).

I think it was a more than fair price, considering the work that probably needs doing to get them to sound right. The surround fix I am 99% certain won't work to get them to sound good, which they will if they are repaired correctly.

Well yes it is possible that damage can occur if the surrounds get so bad that the cone is not fully supported, and one of the three pairs I've replaced surrounds on would have benefitted from a complete recone as one voice coil was no longer perfectly circular. The other two pairs though were in excellent order as the original foam was still intact, just on its last legs. So it can be done and it can work perfectly, as I have done it and I listened to them very carefully before and after :). There were a lot of threads on this on the yahoo Tannoy forum a few years back and lots of people have replaced their surrounds to their apparent satisfaction. Of course, if you have the cash then a recone by Lockwood is certainly the best option, but it's not true to say that it's not possible to effectively replace just the surround without compromising the drivers.

Tannoy cabs can be improved upon, sure, but at least Amesburys are just about large enough to do justice to 15"-ers so would be one of the better ones to pick. And I rather like the look of old Tannoy cabs despite then being a bit flappy, better than all those shiny new black daleks I see around :P.

Anyway my original comments on these were really that compared to the prices that pre-HPD models are fetching, they were something of a bargain.

La toilette,

Re,

Yep my Golds are now in their 4th cabs; originally in Lancasters now in super-sturdy birch ply cabs - makes a big difference! Chatsworths are much too small to do your golds justice really.

I think I read somewhere that, golds need bigger cabs than HPD, to hear the them at their best. It would be great if I could get the opportunity to listen to them in something bigger, with better bracing. I had only bought these as a stand by for the inevitable of having my HPD reconed. Also a bit out of curiosity.

I did toy with the idea of quickly putting them in even the Lancasters whilst I'm have the HPD work done. I'v heard you can use something that can alter the aperture to allow them to fit. Lancasters are not the best I know, think they would be a bit better than the Chatsworth tho'.

Not sure I want to start doing this, as I have enough going on with the HPD at the moment.

I have been looking at the process of the recone, every time I look, I'm still not clear as to what the spider looks like. I know the general location.

and what it does. If anyone can direct me to a clear photo of the component, on it's own, if possible,that would be great.

I have been looking at the process of the recone, every time I look, I'm still not clear as to what the spider looks like. I know the general location.

and what it does. If anyone can direct me to a clear photo of the component, on it's own, if possible,that would be great.

The first pic on this page shows a section of a Monitor Gold speaker. The spider is not labelled but it's the bit that connects the base of the cone to the chassis - it's corrugated (and coated?) fabric and is clamped onto the chassis by a metal ring which is fastened by 4 bolts.

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy4.htm