AnilS

Thinking of getting a .........................

30 posts in this topic

................................. Nissan GTR but they seem to be rising slightly for 09/10 cars lately. Although awesome, its almost was a "bit too good"!

So I'm also looking at other cars. Now, this car will be a toy/fun thing as I'm hopefully) keeping my BMW and selling the Mercedes SL (current toy/fun thing) as I fancy a change. I have, as ever, a strange and disjointed list so bear with me!

List includes;

Ferrari 456 GTA M

Maserati Granturismo

Porsche 911 (997)

DB9

Jag XKR

SWMBO wants to me to get rid of both.

Mud slinging and thoughts appreciated.

I suspect he's looking around the £45k mark so the Aston V12 Vantage is out of the picture.

Ill be predictable and say get yourself a late 997.2 C2S from an OPC for years of hassle free fun motoring...

Great though the Nissan is, it's feckin' expensive to run. New brakes every 9,000 miles or so @ £2.5K a set, so a service is likely to be £4 to 5K. It also eats tyres @ £300 each.

The Ferrari is just as expensive but looks nice. There is a good reason you see lots of Ferrari's with 5,000 or 11,000 miles on the clock for sale, as the service at 6,000 & 12,000 is not cheap. Again in the £4 to 6K range at a dealer and you would be mad not to go to a dealer if it's relatively new.

It's a boring choice, but the Porker is the best car to drive and you'll drive it more.

Thanks. Budget range is £25K - £35K (Porker is at the lower end).

Problem is, I want something thats special and the Porkers is predictable, but good. Done alot of homework into running costs and although some are frightening, I'm realistic. Love the idea of something really old school (NSX/Quattro/Integrale/Lotus Carlton) but got old now!

I suspect he's looking around the £45k mark so the Aston V12 Vantage is out of the picture.

Ill be predictable and say get yourself a late 997.2 C2S from an OPC for years of hassle free fun motoring...

OK a V8 then. Like THIS. Coupe will be cheaper again. This mob are generally £5K over priced but everything is negotiable.

The AMV8 is a beautiful thing; the CIO of one of our customers owns one (now his third). No matter how many times I ask, he won't let me drive it. In beauty stakes, the Maserati runs it a close second.

If you can afford either, you're a lucky man. Enjoy.

the DB9 is within your budget, however my neighbour just sold his 2005, constant alternator/battery discharging issue's, he now has a soft top Lambo.

TVR Sagaris. £40K upwards, but rising fast & far lower running costs than a GT-R or Ferrari. Ultimately about as fast as the others (bar the GT-R), only you are doing the work instead of the car, giving a far greater buzz.

Porkers are great as only cars (assuming you don't mind the running costs and depreciation), but far too much of a mass-produced compromise for a toy. 99% of the time, it feels like a fast saloon and 1% of the time you're risking life and licence on public roads.

A mate has a BMW X6, 1 series hatchback (both new) and a DB9. He said people hate him when he's in the BMW's, yet don't mind when he's in the DB9. If you want an easier social life go for the latter!

911. Awesome car. Reliable. Classic and discreet styling. Nothing like driving a 'fast saloon' if you ask me. Excellent independent dealer network. 20-something MPG!

Oh... and it's incredibly fast! You could even get a 911 turbo with your budget. Oh yes indeed.