bencat

Sorry but that itchy feeling for new equipment has started again.

12 posts in this topic

I have only come to music streaming very recently . I will say from the start that I use and enjoy digital music from CD as my main source and very rarely ever play LP's anymore. To me the sound of CD is more than good enough to transport me in to the music .

Streaming is for my ears much better even than CD and the quality of music I am getting is the best I have heard to date . However this has made me think and given me the itch that if everything I listen to is in the digital domain then some sort of Digital Room Correction would be worth looking in to.

There are two things I am looking at DSpeaker Anitmode unit currently going the rounds looks like something that seems to work but does not require long study in to arcane computer files to implement and enjoy .

The second is I have seen a second hand Tact 2.0 Room Correction Pre for sale. Looking at the detials this is the early model they made and not the current one so will require a pc to aid with set up.

A brief read through of both units seems to indicate that both will do what I am looking for but that the Tact may well be a little more flexible with inputs for analogue and digital sources and the ability to alter the correction wave forms in real time. There is a danger here that giving an obessive like me the chance to fiddle may well mean that I constantly tweak things while the other unit looks more like you measure set and that is it.

I know that a few have recently tried and bought the DSpeaker Dual Core unit and I have read the review in the Euipment review section but is there anyone out there who has used the Tact ?

The Tact could easily replace my Dac and current Pre Amp as it would be possible to have the SBT and my Theta connected directly to the Tact then use that directly in to the Krell . Not sure if the DSpeaker offers the same . Reduction of boxes and so mess is something I like and shortening the signal path and keeping it digital until the last minute is also I think desirable but would appreciate any feedback off people that have used either units.

Just as an aside I have looked at and considered the software options that exist but I do not want a PC in the music room and I do not want to do the hard study needed to get them set up and working .

I am going to make a leap of faith here and suggest you already know what you want to do. Your aversion to PC's indicates that, which would disqualify the TACT option. Go with the Antimode option and tell us how you get on.:)

Hi Henry , thanks for that but in this case not that true the TACT only needs the PC as a set up device and having seen the set up sequence in a review I am more than happy to say I will be able to manage it. After the set up alterations and adjustments can be done directly in to the Tact . My aversion was for the fully software option which requires you to use your pc/laptop as the control unit and leave it connected and on for the software to work .

I realise the TACt will be a more difficult opton but it is also more flexible the unit I have seen is also not that far away from the cost of the Antimode unit so it is pretty much a fair fight . I would just like someone who has used the TACt to offer some feedback on how it sounds and how difficult it is to live with.

We listened to nearly every active room correction option, ( haven't heard the anti mode yet) some produced a very 'disconnected' sound , GregF of this forum used the TACT or Lyngdorf system for years before switching, perhaps PM him?

Keith.

Yes given the generous offer by Big D I suppose you are right . Then again the thought of not having tried the Tact as well is one of those annoying things that will always make me think would it have been better , more what I want. I realise this is all my problem nothing else but I at least these days recognise it as that .

Right after a few days of reading and studying on the net and changing my mind only about 30/40 times I have decided to take the plunge . I have gone for the second hand Tact DRC 2.0 unit which I have bought from Simon of 2ndHandHiFi . He made the whole thing pretty easy and I should get the unit tomorrow. This will then give me Friday night and the weekend to do a full install and get things in and working and then settle down to some serious listening. The main thing that finally swayed me to this was that if it works as I want it to this unit will act as a Pre Amp / Dac and Room Correction unit all in the same box and it will mean that I can get the Perpetual Technology gear and the Concordant Pre amp out of the system . Well that is the theory but it may well be that in practice it is not going to sound as I want it so will put some detials of how I got on either over the week end or next week .

I know this is really very silly but thought I would be honest and tell the truth anyway. Despite my Tact unit arriving without the essential RJ12 - DB9 RS232 cable and so me not being able to install it or even start setting it up I have to admit that I still feel I have made the right decision.

I have seen the pictures of the Anitmode unit and managed this week end to see a one in the flesh . Now I make no comment on how they funtion or what they sound like (as I have not heard one only seen the unit) . However the pride factor in owning something that just looks the business is inevitable some times. I found the build quality and looks of the Antimode very underwhelming it just does not inspire me to have it on show in pride of place .

The Tact on the other hand looks like a reall well constucted and functional piece of Audio foo it reeks hi end (even if it might not be) and I just know that i am going to rearrange my rack so this thing is upfront and out there for all to see.

Yes , Yes I know this sad but I do so love owning equipment that looks as well as sounds good , I would always favour the Michell TT over the Linn or the Oracle over the Roksan just becuase they both look so damn good . I admit I am shallow but I will bet I am not the only one. Now if thei Tact unit will only funtion like the manual says it will I suspect I will be very happy .

Big Dur - I am really sorrry I know you have made everyone a great offer and I am sure that your Antimode units are as good as everyone who is buying them says they are but given I paid the same price for the Tact as the Antimode I confess I was seduced by a pretty face.

We listened to nearly every active room correction option, ( haven't heard the anti mode yet) some produced a very 'disconnected' sound , GregF of this forum used the TACT or Lyngdorf system for years before switching, perhaps PM him?

Keith.

I use a DEQX for 1/100th of what it can do for exactly this reason. It is stupendous, endlessly entertaining, sounds lucid and clear (if left on 24/7), but digital room correction really seems to me to be an example of where less is more. Currently it runs almost flat, just a slight (1.2dB) shaping of the signal in the mid-bass region for a suckout, but with a separate and quite heavily shaped sub output added with a sharp cut-off filter at 55Hz, and this is the best bit for me - I add 4ms delay to the main signal to bring the sub into perfect phase. The difference is substantial - with the main system off there's almost no energy going through the sub, yet the ambience cues and weight on the lowest notes is much improved. You can also tame rubbish recordings though then they tend to sound like, well, ameliorated lifeless bad recordings, but sometimes its slightly better.

Of course if I was going 2 or 3 way active the thing would have much more function as the sound shaping can be more tightly controlled across drive units. However I'm not, yet all in all an indispensable part of my kit despite the truth in Keith's wise words above. It's a keeper.

Also good for spotting frequency anomalies and room effects even if I don't want to correct them!

Stop apologising.

:goodone:

You too, why not sell your CD5i? Seems an expensive item to hang on to just to listen to 'crippled' music. I sold mine and haven't regretted it, great though it was.