MF 1000

Zigmahornet

10 posts in this topic

After the sucess of my modified Cambridge R50 transmission line bass cabinets, I was hankering after building a transmission line midrange unit. I had in the interim partnered the R50's with a pair of Fostex 123E full rabge drivers in a bass port enclosure allied to a pair of supplimentary KEF tweeters. I came across a design for 'Zigmahornets' on the net which used Fostex 103E full range drivers, and after doing a bit more checking decided to try this design scaled up to fit the larger full range drivers. The design is a 1/4 wave straight transmission line and in the plans I found wasnt damped in any way with long hair wooll - just a simple damping pad on the rear baffle behind the driver. Id worked out that one sheet of 18mm mdf would complete the build so quite a cheap test build ahead.

photo2-2.jpg

The pic above shows the simple design/construction of the cabinet, with the damping pad in place. I couldnt leave it like that so as is usual with me it out with the 15mm dowel to act as bracing and 'fix' the long hair wool damping material.

photo-4.jpg

Here is a pic of the wool in place

photo1-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the 'finished' speaker

photo3-2.jpg

Sound wise Im pleased...a much better sound stage then with the ported cabs.....let other judge this better during the bake off this weekend

Keith

Cool, always nice to see more DIY builds :^

Thanks Adam....I enjoy it and the challenge of refining a design, improving areas etc and getting a speaker that is 'unique' at a good cost too..Once summer is over etc I will sort out some nice walnut veneer from IPL to match my bass cabs

Nice. Will have to get off my arse and try a pair of these one day. Nice woodworking. Will you be painting them or leaving as virgin?

Nice. Will have to get off my arse and try a pair of these one day. Nice woodworking. Will you be painting them or leaving as virgin?

I'll be applying walnut veneer once I'm satisfied I've damped them properly etc

Very easy build ...if your going to try give me a shout for more details

Made mine about 4 years ago.

Did you use 45 degree joints on corners, or just butt-joint them? Hmm; looking again, the latter?

The original concept used the former.

Having no tools, i got a quote for doing the joints for me.

Cutting a chamfer on each side? £120!!!(Just the work, not the wood-I paid for that!)

WhAAAAAT?

So I stopped at that point!

Then made them out of 1+1/2inch Polystyrene.

And, believe it or not, they sound great (would love to do a side-by-side compare!)

I used a thick sheet of rubber behind the (Merrill )unit, and lined the inside column with heavy duty gold paper (just to channel the sound a bit, as poly is pretty porous to sound!)

In fact the sound was so good, it persuaded me to get the Ocellias (also full range).

Sit either side of my computer table and get heard more than the Calliopes!

Did a blind(fold!!) test on someone and they were totally amazed to see a 3 inch unit in a Polystyrene tube afterwards!

May try it on tomorrows visitor (who I sha'n't name, but he IS a Wammer)

Anyway; what's with the tweeter?.

Further info here for those who don't know.http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

The 'Blind test' worked again today!

These things are pretty amazing.

Took part in the blind test this morning, the Polystyrene cabinets and 3 inch drive units are pretty amazing.

My words were like a superb pair of headphones!!!!

It would be a great DIY project to consider...........do you have a patent Chris?

Many thanks to Chris for his very warm hospitallity this morning.

Thoroughly enjoyable experience listening to his systems.

The Ocellias are something else in terms of sound quality and what they do. Very special indeed!!!!

i have the materials for mine as well. (and geddes!) just gotta build em.

Go Teddy, go!

And, thanks Paul, for the kind words!