wee tam

what do you look for in your day to dayt listening ?

40 posts in this topic

So you stopped...........bahhh

Apart from the occasional use for background music over dinner, when a ghettoblaster would do just as well, my daily use doesn't differ much. I use my HiFi for the pleasure of the music. Jazz should relax and get me laid back, classical for intellectual stimulus, rock for passion.

The nice thing about my HiFi is that once I got over all the measurements, set-up and stuff, I use it as a tool, not really caring about it at all, not letting it get in the way of the emotional satisfaction of the music.

Lovely stuff.

S.

I am always looking for music I have not heard before. I love it when I get lucky and find something is Right On.

You always know immediately when you like a particular song, riff, etc...it just sounds Great, straight away.

I have found a lot of great music from all you characters too:^

Hello,

I like to feel like i am sitting in front of the drummer. as a musician i feel this is importent for the music. i am a very happy with my system it gives me pleasure from the music. Although i feel the human voice is procise in my system i like to sit back and relax like having a small session band in front of my from a small hall etc. I like my music from early prog rock to electronica to early 50's jazz also including various other genres theres nothing i wont try.

Dan

Apart from the obvious necessary stuff like the tune, the musical drive and interplay .... a 3d holographic world, infinitely layered around you and full of dense floating notes replete with form and shape, endlessly pleasurable in their texture and tone, like they are actually caressing your body. The kit I have now does this in a way that i've never heard before with other electronics.

Yes, but looking from another angle, don't you think that hifi lover are the type that not sensitive enough to the musical message? that's why we need to spend to understand that message better. My stepfather very often cry when he listen to his classical music on a budget system (and I mean £600 max hifi system) and I would sit next to him pulling everything to pieces! Yes, he also love listen to music on my rig but he doesn't need an expensive stuff to reach that same emotional connection.

No, I don't agree with that at all. Some kind of obsessiveness about equipment and sound makes people spend so much money usually, although not always. It's male autistic spectrum behaviour, that's why everyone listens to music but only men buy HiFi equipment.

It's not difficult to enjoy music on a 'budget' system if you can stop thinking about the quality of reproduction and dissecting it - which is a seperate activity really (see above). Doing that can even make a great £50,000 system unenjoyable. A good £600 stereo can easily resolve the melody and all the most important bits in the music and most of the less important stuff too, as your stepfather has found. If you can avoid obsessing over sound too much, a top-quality system will be the icing on the cake of musical enjoyment by giving a heightened sense of reality over a lesser system.

I rarely listen in critical mode much anymore, it's just too boring! I've got out of the habit thankfully and try to just get on with listening and enjoying music these days. Yesterday I was listening to the Very Best of The Fine Young Cannibals and dancing around the room! :oops::D Couldn't do that listening critically, it had plenty of shortcomings but I didn't dwell on them and had a great time! :^

I think we analyse this stuff too much. Get the right equipment that suits you and explore that musical landscape.

I like to listen to music for pleasure.

Notions or accuracy and what the artist intended are pure subjective fantasy. It either sounds good to you or not. Unless of course you were at the studios when recording and more importantly mixing took place.

I have been reading the ken Scott autobiography, which takes you through some of the process of capturing the creative muses of the beatles at abbey road; David Bowie through hunky,ziggy,alladin, pin ups, elton John Honky chateau, don't shoot, Supertramp crime of the century, etc. On reading the technical process of recording, producing and mixing, one realises that one knows nothing about accuracy in the terms of what the recording team Actually had in mind. The use of compression in laying down tracks for specific and good effect, is enlightening.

A good read btw.

Listener pleasure Is where it's at.