Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Willie Garvin

Gain - How to set it correctly

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

Since I'm now playing more vinyl & with a new TT/plinth soon to be winging its way from BobC I now need to concentrate & set my hifi up as best as I can!!

Having left the gain set at zero since buying my Tag Mclaren PA20R pre I now want to find out how to set it up correctly with my system.

The gain dial on the Tag has 6 dB settings which range from 0dB, 3dB, 6dB, 9dB, 12dB & 15dB.

The system is bi-amped & the amps are two Harmon Kardon PA2400 power amps.

As an aside what is gain for & am I correct in thinking that not all pre amps have gain control.

Cheers,

willie g

You set the gain so that you get the full range use of the volume control.

The gain control should be used to sort out impedance mismatches between the pre and the power amps.

Experiment.

I think it's fair to say that most pre's don't have gain control. Mine does I am glad to say. It allows you to fine tune the sound. You can ensure that the sound has more oomph, but not too much to become shouty.

It allows you to fine tune the sound. You can ensure that the sound has more oomph, but not too much to become shouty.

What on earth does that mean? :?

What on earth does that mean? :?

All these years with those amps and you've obviously learned very little. Basically, if the wribbling-squonge level from the grantcrust stage is set too high, then the squibble goes all scriddly.

You set the gain so that you get the full range use of the volume control.

The gain control should be used to sort out impedance mismatches between the pre and the power amps.

Experiment.

I trust you mean level mismatches rather than impedance.

All these years with those amps and you've obviously learned very little. Basically, if the wribbling-squonge level from the grantcrust stage is set too high, then the squibble goes all scriddly.

Approvedbylogo.gif

Approvedbylogo.gif

As a pedant, I should point out that they're bloody useless as well. It should be 'Approved by the Plain English Campaign'.