Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

KevinF

du Pre

26 posts in this topic

Well it's the two channel debate so what the heck: on the CD transport tonight at KevinF Towers is Jaqueline du Pre's two channel EMI recording of Haydn and Boccherini cello concertos.

A bit like Marmite I think.

So that we avoid provoking the measurists into having simultaneous thrombies, let's leave aside that it's playing here through a mostly Audio Note system, and concentrate solely on du Pre's playing. Mawkish or sublime?

I vote for sublime. And if you're reading this and haven't heard it, do go and buy a copy. It's life enhancing.

Sublime! I have that as well as a boxed set of her Elgar Cello concertos.

Sublime - agreed. Though my favourite perfs are her ones of the Beethoven Piano Trios with Barenboim and Zuckerman - breathtakingly expressive in a way few dare today.

Tom -

You are not wrong. I have heard them so many times and still get moved to tears, even if in company. Silly old me.

Elgar wonderful, as is her Beethoven and Haydn etc.

But the du Pre performance that totally blows me away are the Bach solo cello suites 1 & 2 - recorded by EMI in 1962 when she was a young lass of 17. The sound quality is kind of ancient, but the miraculous performance shines through regardless.

I was fortunate enough to snatch a new Du Pre Complete EMI box for £21.95 from Europadisc some 4 years ago.

Ric

Sublime - agreed. Though my favourite perfs are her ones of the Beethoven Piano Trios with Barenboim and Zuckerman - breathtakingly expressive in a way few dare today.

a recent acquisition :^

Oh Sublime, without a doubt, particularly the Haydn. That said, her best in my opinion remains the Elgar from '65(?) - not the CBS one with Barenboim.

I was fortunate enough to snatch a new Du Pre Complete EMI box for £21.95 from Europadisc some 4 years ago.

Ric

Now that is what a call a result. Well done you.

Time tor resurrect this thread :)

I've been quite disappointed with the sound quality of Du Pre cds I've bought. Has anyone compared the CDs to the original vinyl? I would love to get hold a nice box set like the Favourite Cello Concertos or Recital on vinyl to try but they go for too much for something I have no real idea of the condition of.

Also anyone know if the complete box set has an improved sound quality to the earlier CDs - I read somewhere it has been remastered...?

The CDs on the box set are variable, some are from live events, most from studio. On the whole I've found the chamber music to be pretty good while I don't listen much to the orchestral stuff. I have much of the chamber music on vinyl and I also have the Favourite Concertos box set from years ago (though it probably hasn't had a play in decades). Which recordings is it you don't like the sound of?