Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craig

Like this? Then try these

30 posts in this topic

In similar vein to Q mags wee box, thought this was worth a thread.

So; I like Tom McCrae, Stephen Fretwell, Tom Baxter

For more of the same or similar, I should try ........................... ??

Suggestions would be welcome. I'm thinking older stuff, but anything would be welcome

Nick Drake the daddy of them all.. Try "Treasury " or " A way to Blue". Both compilations but should give you a really good idea of if you want to get deeper.

John Martyn also.. " Solid Air" . Richard Thomson seems popular as well. These guys were really doing this stuff early 70's .

thommo wrote:

Of course the Drake. I always recommend "Bryter Layter" to people (I reckon it's one of the best albums ever) but that Treasury compleeyation is definitely any good.

I'd say try "1972" by Josh Rouse too, Craig.

If you like 1972 then you should also try Nashville, and then you might like to try John Mayer after that

Can't believe the Strat's not been along yet with Jackson Browne. I'll give you one guess for his reco.

Duvet wrote:

Can't believe the Strat's not been along yet with Jackson Browne. I'll give you one guess for his reco.

Well yeah definately Jackson - also Crosby, Stills, & Nash (self titled)and with Young on Deja Vu. Neil Young on his own - Harvest and Harvest Moon good starting points. Have you got anything by Joni Mitchell? Start with Hejira, and Court and Spark, or perhaps Blue. Creedence Clearwater Revival. If you like Ryan A go back into his stuff with WhiskeyTown - Pneumonia is really good imo.

Willy Mason if you've not already heard him, or Smog (Bill Callahan) quite a few albums of his, hard to pick an entry point to be honest, he goes back to about late 80's but I'd start with Red Apple Falls (1997 I think) then if you like that go from there, Knock Knock is also an excellent album.

Craig - do you like the Doors - scary but really good imo. Don't normally do compilations but this is really good:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=93;-1;-1;-1&sku=625418

Where should I start with Tom McCrae?

The Strat wrote:

do you like the Doors

I might have liked them a lot more if they'd had a bass player!

Bands without a bass player(*) should be banned (**).

* and that includes yer one note "der der der der" merchants. Get some bleedin' rhythm!!!!

** except, of course, the JBs when they play with Hammond bass. And Kraftwerk, but that doesn't count - I mean guitar type bands. 2 bass players is even better, unless it's Ned's Atomic Dustbin.