• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
grimep

Anyone tried a Canon G1X? Compared to a FinePix X100 perhaps?

17 posts in this topic

Been looking through all the options for a new camera as an upgrade to my aging Powershot S80 which has given great service and I'm still happy with... Still it would be nice to have improved quality overall. Going up to an S100 doesn't seem like a big enough jump, I'm happy with the S80 as a pocket camera, and the Mrs has a newish Lumix.

I've toyed with getting into DSLRs, looked into bridge, superzoom, compact system/mirrorless/micro 4/3rds etc etc. But I think what I'd love the most is just an uber-compact that doesn't break the bank like a Leica or perhaps an X100 (though the price is coming down on those). Manual controls and image quality are order of the day. All the reviews seem to really rate the G1X, apart from no macro to speak of and slow AF and slow continuous shooting. Those are small downsides for an uber-compact covered in manual controls and with approaching-dslr-quality.

Prices for G1X's and X100s will slowly go south so I might sit it out and bag a bargain one day... so anyone here had any practical experience of either machine, or any others I should consider?

Just my two penny worth. I bought an x100 just over a year ago on a complete impulse whilst visiting a camera shop when I was killing time for a business meeting. Ok, it cost me a grand .. But it was the best investment I've ever made

. I love it. For years I had a few DSLR's (Nikon) and whilst occasionally got great results, it was always a total fluke because I had no real idea of what I was doing.

With the X100 you can see in the view finder what you are going to get, and not only that the adjusting of variables is so intuitive that I've learnt so much more about photography over the last year... And the results are so often just great.

Super sharp lense and brilliant operation.

Ok it does have its limitations ( fixed lense ), but I don't care.

Just my thoughts.

I had a play with an x100 today. It's a thing of beauty alright. Wonderful styling and weighs just right in the hands. That hybrid viewfinder is awesome.

John Lewis do a Fuji X100 for £ 649

^ out of my budget ^

you can get the G1X for around £435 now. I've handled one, quite like it. Trouble is, lens isn't quite as fast as it could be, so the benefits of an almost DSLR sized sensor are mitigated by the lens speed. So low light performance isn't far different to a smaller sensored camera with a faster lens.

I've suspected for years now that the manufacturers deliberately build flawed cameras so everyone will get the upgrade bug 2 years after buying...

Shouldn't you be looking to compare the Fuji x10 to the G1X as opposed to the X100?

Paul

Shouldn't you be looking to compare the Fuji x10 to the G1X as opposed to the X100?

Paul

Good point if you're looking at RRP, but I reckon if I bide my time and use a bit of stealth an X100 could be had for a reasonable sum. One in as-new condition went on ebay for £545

the other day with some extras. I'm more interested in comparisons in image quality than say RRP.

If you want to compare image quality, use the facility with the test shots on Dpreview here.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x/18

OK it only tells you so much, but they also do good reviews and have active forums for most cameras.

Good point if you're looking at RRP, but I reckon if I bide my time and use a bit of stealth an X100 could be had for a reasonable sum. One in as-new condition went on ebay for £545

the other day with some extras. I'm more interested in comparisons in image quality than say RRP.

I wasn't even thinking of price, just that the G1X has a (35mm equivalent) 28-112 lens as does the Fuji X10 whereas the X100 has a fixed wide angle.

Paul

If you want to compare image quality, use the facility with the test shots on Dpreview here.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x/18

OK it only tells you so much, but they also do good reviews and have active forums for most cameras.

I tend to get a bit overwhelmed with the dpreview pieces, good though they are. Actually just found someone asking the same Q as me ..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=40956696

Well I can't offer an opinion on the X100 as I've not considered it, but a little while ago I decided to get a compact for general us as opposed to carrying a DSLR about - I had narrowed it down to two the X10 and the G1X. In my hand I didn't like the G1X at all (and I'm a long term Canon user) and the viewfinder is a joke (I wouldn't consider a camera that didn't have a viewfinder) but then I wasn't to enamored with the X10 either, but it was so much nicer than the G1X.

A month later, after much deliberation, I bought an X10 from the Fuji refurb shop with an on-line discount voucher which currently gets the price down to under £300 delivered. I now use it more than my DSLR and 'operationally' the only things I don't like about it are; poor battery life (which does improve with use, but I do carry two spares) the fact that when it times out and switches off you can't just press a button to bring it back to life, you have to switch it off and back on again and lastly it is the most complex camera I've ever come across with so many options it's mind boggling (the manual is rubbish which doesn't help). So whenever I go out now this is what I 'pack'

4f755898.jpg

I bought the lens hood (Chinese copy) so I could use 52mm filters and rather than even stand a chance of loosing the rather wonderful alloy slip-on lens cap supplied I could us any old 52mm clip on one.

Paul

Edit just to add that I now want to try an X100 and/or an X1 Pro and might even consider them in preference to owning an DSLR!