clap

Speaker cables affecting soundstage

48 posts in this topic

The bigger the cables the bigger the balloons, then you wont see the speakers.

Yes, certainly.

But even more pronounced upon the soundstage pincing effect is that caused by poor layout and dressing. I have found, through extensive experimentation, that the best technique for avoidance is through the use of ( non static ) balloons to keep the wire off carpet and metal racks - and I do stress non static. You can obtain this type of balloon on Ebay. I suggest balloon because of the versatility of size they can be inflated to and because it has the right resonance absorbing properties. Special wood blocks are all very well but through experimentation ( and IMO of course ) I find the balloon material to be superior in this regard.

Now, as to which cable types are best for avoiding dimunition of soundstage, that's an open ended question and it's up to you to make your own journey with that, but the big point I wanted to make in my reply here is that this is the lesser concern. The most difference is to be found in the cable dressing.

Maybe you didn't put the speakers back in exactly the same spot, or at exactly the same angle, after you shifted them to get at the binding posts to change the cables?

What did I tell you....?

Well, I have heard speaker cables change the sound of a system. I really don't care what some people claim about this as I've heard it and I challenge any wammers with a measuring meter to disprove what my ears tell me. Of course, there is a limit to how far the cable obsession can go and some retailers/manufacturers exploit people.

The problem with the Wam is that once you say this you are viewed as a screaming, swivel eyed fundamentalist. You are a brave man for posting this message.

So have I but it's easier and more fun to laugh at people, so.......

Ha ha ha ha ha you're crazy, delusional or suffering from exectation bias. Not only that, but everyone knows the earth if flat.. Ha, ha, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Well, I have heard speaker cables change the sound of a system. I really don't care what some people claim about this as I've heard it and I challenge any wammers with a measuring meter to disprove what my ears tell me. Of course, there is a limit to how far the cable obsession can go and some retailers/manufacturers exploit people.

What would you like measured?

The problem with the Wam is that once you say this you are viewed as a screaming, swivel eyed fundamentalist. You are a brave man for posting this message.

I didn't think the Op had posted any message, he asked a question, Have you heard .........?

Most people have answered with an unequivocal 'No'

All cabling has electrical parameters (resistance,inductance and capacitance) which are generally tiny and insignificant as far as audio is concerned. Speakers have these characteristics but rather more so.

All good, well designed amplifiers are unconditionally stable in that they should be immune to these reactive loads.

Unfortunately, however, not all are... I'm not going to name NAMES (ahem) or I'd be up the CREEK heading for CAMBRIDGE.......

What can happen is the amp can become unstable and produce ultrasonic (and much higher) oscillations. It can be contniuuos or appear on parts of the audio waveform.

This causes audio distortion and it is this that people hear as differences between cables.

Usually with no signal the amp is OK, but putting a sinewave through and increasing the volume, then bursts of oscillation appear at certain parts of the waveform.

I had one amp in that would oscillate at VHF and was detectable on an FM radio!

Regards

Henry

I didn't think the Op had posted any message, he asked a question, Have you heard .........?

Most people have answered with an unequivocal 'No'

:goodone:

Can a change of speaker cable affect your soundstage? Yes.

Can moving your head six inches affect your soundstage? Yes.

Make of this what you will...

OP - have you heard this effect with various recordings or just with a few? Sometimes a change of gear or cabling can affect the way recordings are presented, either bringing you closer to the quality of the recording (or lack of) or the opposite. I've recently changed amps, speakers and cables! The differences are not subtle, but yes, I have heard these differences between speaker cables before. Unlike one of the previous postings, its not just that amps which exhibit extreme sensitivity to reactive loads that real the culprits (I won't Naim naims) as the manufactures usually recommend a particular cable to use with them (which has the required electrical parameters) but many amps can be sensitive to highly capacitative loads. Where some may not notice much difference between IC's, IMHO loudspeaker cables can have a more marked effect...as can drawing the curtains, introducing soft furnishings or sitting off-axis.

Can a change of speaker cable affect your soundstage? Yes.

Can moving your head six inches affect your soundstage? Yes.

Make of this what you will...

Very tree Adam, even pulling ur listening seat away from a rear wall by 6 inches, tweeters at head height etc etc, I suspect most of the critics here are too pissed to notice these subtle changes when they listen to some tunes in the evening!

small movements in listening position OR speaker position can make a huge difference with ML electrostatics

Yes, certainly.

But even more pronounced upon the soundstage pincing effect is that caused by poor layout and dressing. I have found, through extensive experimentation, that the best technique for avoidance is through the use of ( non static ) balloons to keep the wire off carpet and metal racks - and I do stress non static. You can obtain this type of balloon on Ebay. I suggest balloon because of the versatility of size they can be inflated to and because it has the right resonance absorbing properties. Special wood blocks are all very well but through experimentation ( and IMO of course ) I find the balloon material to be superior in this regard.

Now, as to which cable types are best for avoiding dimunition of soundstage, that's an open ended question and it's up to you to make your own journey with that, but the big point I wanted to make in my reply here is that this is the lesser concern. The most difference is to be found in the cable dressing.

If you are any good at making balloon animals, then the cables won't fall off. Maybe I have found a new career opportunity!