• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
macvisual

editing help with a photo please

18 posts in this topic

I can see why you like it.

I have had a look at the image in Lightroom and from the histogram, the top left and the white of the daffodil petals are completely burnt out to the point there is no detail there and I can't separate the two areas. If ti can be done it would need some uber-skills

I doubt there's any info in a raw file. My guess is that it's about 2 stops over exposed. You might alter the base exposure locally, you could use recovery tools on areas close to burn out, or you could substitute a colour or neutral tone for the white. All these can be done subtly, but the bottom line is that you will simply be painting something like light grey into the white. I'm happy to sit and do some of those for you if you wanna look at the results, but I'm not optimistic!

As has been said, there is no info for that area in the file. Best that could be done is as Rocky says, or you could clone in from the rest of the background to give it a more 'uniform' look.

- - - Updated - - -

p><p>Don

(Apologies for editing your image without getting permission first.)

2 stops over exposure are salvable from raw files!

It's time that Peter starts shooting raw.

haven't we had this conversation?

pete

i had a go at it, but the highlights are totally blown so irecoverable in it's current form i think.

However, can always be changed to a more graphic presentation, with colour and shape being the focus. i only have a mouse, no graphics pen and am sure others could do better, but something along these lines gives you an image....

7362144484_cd4fc99069_z.jpg

7506_original.jpg by BobC44, on Flickr

just sample the near (but not quite) blown petal colour and overlay that colour in lighten mode and tweak the opacity, this will give you printable detail.

a bit of subtle brushwork on a layer mask and maybe a duplicate layer in 'multiply' mode would add more tonality to the petals.

that's how i would do it anyway.

i could do it for you but i charge by the hour :-)

Can also be done relatively easily by creating a layer mask from the blown out area and using that on an imported 'google image' of a similar subject, I just had a go with a white daffodil search and after a couple of minutes looked pretty good (given the small size of the image here I won't waste time uploading it, but it can be done...)

I guess this has been discussed before then! Having spent years shooting raw and meticulously going through the conversion process, I think the jpeg engines have improved massively. As has the price of storage.

There is an easy solution here. Most cameras can shoot jpeg+RAW for each shot, I use this ALL the time, work with jpegs mostly, until I get the odd one where I do need to pull back somethings that's blown or lift some shadows (or even more common when I need to really work on plain areas without banding the extra bit depth is essential...)

If all is ok when you get home, bin all the raws and just keep the jpegs!

THANX guys, appreciate all your help with that tricky task!

Really can't see me turning the corner into starting to shoot raw as I'm very happy/confident with j-peg, don't want to spark the debate that 'raw is better than jpeg ping-pong back/forward', SO boring...!!!! (sorry).

I took that flower photo before I owned any ND/Grad filters, so now I've learned to use filters for bright sky areas etc....

No debate to be sparked...it is better...JPEG is just smaller in file size and these days that is not an issue. The downside of JPEG is therefore all there is, there is no upside.