Malc50

Valve amp problem

6 posts in this topic

Hi all

powered up my valve power amp this morning to a swishing sound in the left channel and a burning smell . Turned it off within seconds and the speakers thankfully have survived. Taken the lid off and at the base of each valve there are 2 resistors . These have cooked themselves on one of the valves only . Does anyone know valve circuit design , are these a final safety system if a valve goes short or would a faulty valve cause these to burn out ?? They are very low wattage resistors . A bit drastic I know but just wondered if anyone can shed some light on it for me . All was well when I turned it off before the fatal switch on !

Thks Malc

Malc, is this the Linear A?

My blind guess is a squiffy valve shorting something. Those crappy EH valves werent my favorites (though brand new). PM me mate

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

Many alternatives, but the valve failing internally is one possibility. The resistors are not effectively a fuse, but will usually burn out if excessive current is passed for one reason or another.

The one thing for certain is that unless you really know exactly what you're doing, then just replacing the resistors and bunging a different tube in is not a good idea. In all probability it's a cheap fix, but it needs to be fixed properly.