Guest Pac67

Garrard 401 strip down, service and new plinth build

43 posts in this topic

You may well have a customer for that Stewart as the method used isn't effective and the weight isn't heavy enough (I may add bluetack to the weight!)

I thought they came with an extra bias weight. Mine did.

Mine didn't. Just the light weight on the end of the piece of thread.

My bias weights have been modded and use nylon monofilament these days...........does it make any difference..............I dont know but I am no going to put the thread back in!

Mine didn't. Just the light weight on the end of the piece of thread.

I think they are available as spares, but probably for a lot more than Blu-tak.

My bias weights have been modded and use nylon monofilament these days...........does it make any difference..............I dont know but I am no going to put the thread back in!

Funny you should say that Stewart, I was going to replace the thread with some fishing line I have knocking about as any positive difference it makes has to be worthwhile. The thread just seems like it has to much friction with that light weight hanging off the end.

I used the hif news test lp to check bias on my 401 and techy copy, the techy copy responded well to adjustments but the 401 didn't, guess which sounds far better?:)

I used the hif news test lp to check bias on my 401 and techy copy, the techy copy responded well to adjustments but the 401 didn't, guess which sounds far better?:)

How many of the bias tracks would your 401 combo track before distortion kicked in? My 309/Shelter managed 3 of the 4 tracks with the sound as clear as a bell but fell apart on the last high amplitude track. The 401/242/Denon started to crumble on track 2. I think it's less to do with the deck Paul and more the arm/cart combination.

I've just found a minty (still in it's original box with tools and datasheets) Shure M95HE, with the original Hypereliptical stylus with apparently little or no use so will be trying that on the Hadcock in place of the Denon.

whatever it is Paul, the 401 with v9 rosewood unipivot and SAE cart leaves the techy copy that measured, if measured is the right word, for dead. Cannot remember what the results were with the tracks, may do it again when I get back from les alpes, mountain biking, where I am at present. Wish me luck today as it pissed with rain day and night yesterday and may be a tad slippy this morning.

whatever it is Paul, the 401 with v9 rosewood unipivot and SAE cart leaves the techy copy that measured, if measured is the right word, for dead. Cannot remember what the results were with the tracks, may do it again when I get back from les alpes, mountain biking, where I am at present. Wish me luck today as it pissed with rain day and night yesterday and may be a tad slippy this morning.

Good luck mate and don't do what I did last time I took the mountain bike down a big mountain! (clue... broken ribs, pelvis, shoulder and spinal injuries!)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice take on the skeletal plinth Paul, realy nice, quality finish to it.

:^

What's all this talk about haddocks again:P

Cheers Bob...it's the hot version..ie the smoked haddock!

have tried the broken rib thing twice, didn't enjoy the recovery much, but nothing like your injuries mate.........respect.:)

I've only found this thread after looking around for plinths for my 401.

I love the look of what you've built.

Did you create any templates which you'd be willing to share?

Thanks

Ems