• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
pmac

Lumix G3

45 posts in this topic

Yes, I am tempted with the 100-300 just because its reasonably cheap and the image quality looks great 600mm for not much more than 600 quid. The size is great for me, especially the little prime, in time i will buy the power 14-42 zoom for the size.

Overall I am really chuffed with what the G3 can do.

Then add a 2x teleconverter and you have 1200mm lens. OK, as someone mentioned earlier it would be F11 min. but in bright conditions and ISO 800 it shouldn't be out of the question to get some reasonable results

Paul, like all things, I'm sure you'll adapt it to get the results you need. Digiscoping is a great idea if you simply want to produce a clear visual record of your birding list. Maybe just check with your telescope maker that they do an adaptor for the G3, and your away.

Would, if I could John, but I downsized my scope from a Leica to a Minox, for weight/size considerations and I don't think the Minox (good as it is, for it's size) will be up to digiscoping, unlike the Leica.

Had a good play around with a G3 today. Feels well made and I didn't find it too small, for my hands anyway.

Got to say that I was impressed. Unfortunately they had no tele lenses to try, but I am hoping to get to do that in a week or so. Looking a likely buy, I think :)

I really couldn't get on with the G3 from an ergonomics perspective. A few photographers on here seem to get on well with it which is great and we are all different.

If you want to read more see here of my experience and thoughts on the camera. Owners may want to ignore this! http://wp.me/p1hetB-ce

Nice one. I'm sure its a great camera and many owners are thrilled, but I think you've put into words exactly the impression I've formed without actually owning one myself. I got interested in these cameras when I saw G2s going for around £250 which seemed to be an amazing bargain, and I guess it was. I'm still stuck trying to decide... DSLRs seem too bulky, but these "mini-dslrs" seem too wee.

I really couldn't get on with the G3 from an ergonomics perspective. A few photographers on here seem to get on well with it which is great and we are all different.

If you want to read more see here of my experience and thoughts on the camera. Owners may want to ignore this! http://wp.me/p1hetB-ce

The Fuji X-S1 looks good if you want a camera with a viewfinder and a decent range zoom.

Finally, I agree with the others when they say to get into a camera shop and have a feel of each of the cameras. Helps enormously.

Cheers,

Rob

Your review is well written and to the point. I do accept that this is a compromise camera in many ways and will not appeal to DSLR owners (or M9 owners for that matter) as it will never replace either. But, for me, I need something lightweight, particularly when it is partnered with a long lens and good (if not the very best) picture quality, that I can carry with me all day, along with my "bins" (heavy Leica's) and my lightweight scope/tripod. Portability is the key. I would rather get a middling shot of a rare bird with a G3, than be thinking I wish I'd carried my 5kg+ Cannon/500mm lens, instead of leaving it in the car boot. Interchangeable lenses are important, so that I can use it for travel pics too. I have a bridge camera, but just feel this would give me a little more, without the size/weight of a DSLR set up.

:)

Well, having played about with a G3 in Currys, again in PC World and again in Jessops, I really took to it, so I've taken the plunge and ordered the G3 with 14-42 lens along with the 100-300 zoom. Should arrive tomorrow, looking forward to having a play with it!

You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

I decided on the GX1 as it is slightly smaller and bought the detachable EVF. I took it to Jerusalem when there on buisness taking the (then, difficult) decision to leave the 7D at home. But I needn't have worried - shots taken at ISO1600 in a darkened soukh have unbelievably low levels of noise. The G3 has the same sensor.

I have just bought the 45mm macro and on first try that seems to be a superb lens: the right focal length for portraits and a good sharp macro as well. If it pans out as I hope, the 7D will be relegated further back! And it means I can get a smaller, lighter tripod as well :)

You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

I decided on the GX1 as it is slightly smaller and bought the detachable EVF. I took it to Jerusalem when there on buisness taking the (then, difficult) decision to leave the 7D at home. But I needn't have worried - shots taken at ISO1600 in a darkened soukh have unbelievably low levels of noise. The G3 has the same sensor.

I have just bought the 45mm macro and on first try that seems to be a superb lens: the right focal length for portraits and a good sharp macro as well. If it pans out as I hope, the 7D will be relegated further back! And it means I can get a smaller, lighter tripod as well :)

Good, I'm particularly happy about the low noise at ISO1600. My main use will be bird photography, and invariably the rarity will appear in some shady wood, where slow ISO's are useless.

I have a Giottos carbon fibre tripod, which I find excellent, it is stable and very light.

Looking forward to putting all this to the test on my annual trip to the Isles of Scilly in a weeks time!

The only thing I have found with the GX1 is the focus tracking. There are two modes: on is AFC (AF Constant - on the MF/AF button) and the other is AF Tracking (on the focus point menu) and I still have not worked out how to get the best out of it. I think the AF Tracking is for video where camera tends to be held more steady and the subject moves within the frame - from my experience it does not really move quickly enough for birds etc. AFC seems to be the better one where you tend to keep the focus point on the subject.

My other eureka moment was that image stabilisation is a bit sluggish on the 45-200 (may be better on the 100-300) so I got far better results turning it off for birds in flight but I did not try the pan-mode IS.

Having said all that, I am re-using a lot of the skills I had when I had my manual-focus non-IS film camera :P

Because of this learning curve I still take the 7D+100-400 with me if I suspect I have the chance of good BIF shots, but the GX1 is so small it fits in the camera backpack easily enough or the pouch (camera+45-200+14-42) clips onto the backpack waistbbelt and I hardly notice it.

Have fun!

The only thing I have found with the GX1 is the focus tracking. There are two modes: on is AFC (AF Constant - on the MF/AF button) and the other is AF Tracking (on the focus point menu) and I still have not worked out how to get the best out of it. I think the AF Tracking is for video where camera tends to be held more steady and the subject moves within the frame - from my experience it does not really move quickly enough for birds etc. AFC seems to be the better one where you tend to keep the focus point on the subject.

My other eureka moment was that image stabilisation is a bit sluggish on the 45-200 (may be better on the 100-300) so I got far better results turning it off for birds in flight but I did not try the pan-mode IS.

Having said all that, I am re-using a lot of the skills I had when I had my manual-focus non-IS film camera :P

Because of this learning curve I still take the 7D+100-400 with me if I suspect I have the chance of good BIF shots, but the GX1 is so small it fits in the camera backpack easily enough or the pouch (camera+45-200+14-42) clips onto the backpack waistbbelt and I hardly notice it.

Have fun!

Photography was never more enjoyable than when I was using my old Olympus OM2n in manual mode, or indeed my Zorki 4K.

Well, having played about with a G3 in Currys, again in PC World and again in Jessops, I really took to it, so I've taken the plunge and ordered the G3 with 14-42 lens along with the 100-300 zoom. Should arrive tomorrow, looking forward to having a play with it!

Paul what is your verdict on the Panny 100-300