stormyuklondon1

2015 Alfa spider-made in Japan.

66 posts in this topic

Sorry if its a repost..the pics are from autoexpress, so will probably bear no resemblance to the finished article, but if they do..oh my god it'll be pretty..!

car_photo_531238_25.jpg

car_photo_531232_25.jpg

'Alfa Romeo is readying an exciting new Spider roadster that will go on sale in the next few years and feature an all-new rear-wheel-drive chassis – thanks to a joint venture with Mazda.

The deal will allow Alfa to use the chassis that will underpin the next generation of the world’s best-selling sports car: the Mazda MX-5. Both versions will be built at Mazda’s home in Hiroshima, Japan, although they will get different bodies, engines, interiors and gearboxes.

The two companies won’t reveal exact details, but Auto Express has learned that Alfa Romeo will make its model a spiritual successor to the much-loved Duetto Spider, which first appeared in 1966 and played a starring role in the 1967 Dustin Hoffman movie, The Graduate.

We’ve produced these illustrations to give you the best idea of how the two-seater will look. Its curves reference the original Duetto Spider, and it features rounded headlights plus a lower Alfa grille mounted between a pair of front vents.

The rear-drive chassis will be incredibly light, making use of Mazda’s advanced SKYACTIV technology, so expect the Spider to weigh less than 1,000kg. And the front-mounted engine will be positioned as close to the centre of the car as possible to ensure great handling.

Thanks to that low weight, the Spider won’t need a huge engine, and in keeping with the back-to-basics philosophy of the MX-5, the car is expected to feature a 1.4-litre four-cylinder turbo, with power ranging

from 135bhp to 175bhp.

However, it’s possible that any high-performance Cloverleaf version would have the upcoming 4C coupé’s 1.75-litre turbo, with well over 230bhp.

There’s no word on cost just yet, but the Alfa Spider is expected to sit slightly above the new MX-5, with a starting price of around £20,000. A soft-top and folding hard-top are likely to be available. Production of the new sports car will start in 2015.'

The beauty of a two seater Italian sports car mated to the reliability and ability of a Japanese Icon? yes, yes, yes please!

urggh its lost all the poise of the 60's model, just looks like its been on the lasagne and the offspring of a BMW Z3, or whatever it is. Its bland, just looks like a pointier last gen MG. Too many angles on a small body.

Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_Spider.jpg

sorry if its a repost..the pics are from autoexpress, so will probably bear no resemblance to the finished article, but if they do..oh my god it'll be pretty..!

car_photo_531238_25.jpg

car_photo_531232_25.jpg

'alfa romeo is readying an exciting new spider roadster that will go on sale in the next few years and feature an all-new rear-wheel-drive chassis – thanks to a joint venture with mazda.

The deal will allow alfa to use the chassis that will underpin the next generation of the world’s best-selling sports car: The mazda mx-5. Both versions will be built at mazda’s home in hiroshima, japan, although they will get different bodies, engines, interiors and gearboxes.

The two companies won’t reveal exact details, but auto express has learned that alfa romeo will make its model a spiritual successor to the much-loved duetto spider, which first appeared in 1966 and played a starring role in the 1967 dustin hoffman movie, the graduate.

We’ve produced these illustrations to give you the best idea of how the two-seater will look. Its curves reference the original duetto spider, and it features rounded headlights plus a lower alfa grille mounted between a pair of front vents.

The rear-drive chassis will be incredibly light, making use of mazda’s advanced skyactiv technology, so expect the spider to weigh less than 1,000kg. And the front-mounted engine will be positioned as close to the centre of the car as possible to ensure great handling.

Thanks to that low weight, the spider won’t need a huge engine, and in keeping with the back-to-basics philosophy of the mx-5, the car is expected to feature a 1.4-litre four-cylinder turbo, with power ranging

from 135bhp to 175bhp.

However, it’s possible that any high-performance cloverleaf version would have the upcoming 4c coupé’s 1.75-litre turbo, with well over 230bhp.

There’s no word on cost just yet, but the alfa spider is expected to sit slightly above the new mx-5, with a starting price of around £20,000. A soft-top and folding hard-top are likely to be available. Production of the new sports car will start in 2015.'

the beauty of a two seater italian sports car mated to the reliability and ability of a japanese icon? Yes, yes, yes please!

i want one!

I personally think there has only been a couple of ugly Alfas.

This...

1989%20Alfa%20Romeo%20Zagato%20SZ%20Coupe%20f3q.jpg

and this...

alfa-romeo-33-sport-wagon-03.jpg

:sick:

:minikev:I'll get me cappotto.

I must admit... ok, I saw that on top gear and its a brutal slab, in the Aston Vantage tradition. :love:

OK, I'm a petrol-head, therefore I love Alfas.

but... this, if it ever comes about, it will not be an Alfa. It's an MX5 that looks like it's been fucked in a dark alley by Chris Bangle on a dose of meth. The man who claims to be a designer, but who has produced possibly the most ugly cars known to mankind. And who has been kicked out of every company he's ever worked for. A complete idiot with some kind of 'vision'. Yeah, great. Plenty of people with 'visions' around...

It's a bastard. An unloved child born of two disparate parents. It accordingly has some of the features of both, yet has the purity of neither.

Shoot the fucker before it breeds.

Alfa is dead. Let it rest in peace please. Do not dig up the remains and use them to front some bastardised joke.

The convertible is better

std_alfa_romeo_rz_roadster_zagato_1994_f3q.jpg

but still.........:nup:

No it's not. It had the structural integrity of a sponge cake. Scuttle shake? Until you've tried one, you have no idea just how bad it could be.

And yes, I have driven one. And the saloon. Great fun, but frankly both are average at best. Stupidly overpriced and fetch what they do simply because of their rarity. Both are absolutely horrible in reality. Utter crap.

Sorry if that pisses on some dreams. The V6 sounds sublime, but so it has done in every Alfa it's been put in. Cartoon cars. Just like many Ferraris were/are shit, so were/are many Alfas. And these sure as hell were/are. Foul handling, uncomfortable, pig-ugly and unpractical. A great engine in an ugly, badly-handling body and with access to normal service items restricted by the design.

Rubbish.

- - - Updated - - -

did he do those really horrible fugly BMWs?

Oh yes. The man is amazing. He's managed to sell himself to plenty of companies, where he has produced universally ugly shit at every opportunity.

A great self-publicist and a fucking awful designer.

Well it beats the Alfa Arna, the last Japanese-Italian co-production ... on record as the worst car ever, it had Japanese small car design and 1980s Italian manufacture (the worst of both worlds at the time)

alfa-14.jpg

THAT looks pathetic. A bread box with pizza cutter tires:shock: Must handle really well:^:P

Well it beats the Alfa Arna, the last Japanese-Italian co-production ... on record as the worst car ever, it had Japanese small car design and 1980s Italian manufacture (the worst of both worlds at the time)

alfa-14.jpg