Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Ian

Buying a new amp tomorrow ;-)

38 posts in this topic

Tube Tech, perhaps?
not that ugly but a shot in the dark to what may be an educated guess....

Hope u enjoy it tho mate, a mini first thoughts review this evening perhaps? :)

Good move, that was going to be my guess, honest.
When you've had a good listen to that you can pop round mine & listen to the mono's as promest.

Simon.

[quote name='ridley']Good move, that was going to be my guess, honest.
When you've had a good listen to that you can pop round mine & listen to the mono's as promest.

Simon.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Simon.

It's plugged in, good job it's heavier or else I wouldn't be able to tell them apart ! It's actually the one I sold a friend when I'd just bought it as I needed to free up some cash and we did a px deal. It's probably had less than 30 hours use so needs bedding in I feel (I do believe in component burn in but have no wish to open a debate ;-).

Took my daughter for the trip and she came away with a stack of vinyl he kindly gave her so she's happy too.

So, time and evaluation !

[quote name='ridley']Good move, that was going to be my guess, honest.

Simon.[/QUOTE]

That's cruel Simon. The man has just bought new toy and you're already encouraging him to upgrade :)

Good choice Ian. Totally agree on the burn in thing. I took delivery of the 7R monos last week. First 48 hours it was polite, little bright, lacked dynamics and little bass. Kept wanting to turn the volume up for more. 100 hrs of burning in and wow!! Warm, big soundstage going outside the speakers, deep powerful bass suddenly arrived. Same experience with the 25RS preamp as well

Oh did I mention the 7R monos are awesome? Me bad....

[quote name='greengoblin']That's cruel Simon. The man has just bought new toy and you're already encouraging him to upgrade :)

Good choice Ian. Totally agree on the burn in thing. I took delivery of the 7R monos last week. First 48 hours it was polite, little bright, lacked dynamics and little bass. Kept wanting to turn the volume up for more. 100 hrs of burning in and wow!! Warm, big soundstage going outside the speakers, deep powerful bass suddenly arrived. Same experience with the 25RS preamp as well

Oh did I mention the 7R monos are awesome? Me bad....[/QUOTE]

I'm going to get this decision right, and will play about 'till I'm absolutely certain. I'll stick a couple of TJ Full Music 12AX7 in it (awesome in the 7, trust me), and wait 'till it has at least 100 hours on it.

Will you both shut up about the monos ;-). Please !

Awaiting my 7R which should be with me next week Ian (depending on whether the cricket starts again :doh:....Glen downs tools when the test match is on :)...can't say I blame him...). Be interested in your views over the differences with the standard "7" when you've had a chance to evaluate.

[quote name='Pac67']Awaiting my 7R which should be with me next week Ian (depending on whether the cricket starts again :doh:....Glen downs tools when the test match is on :)...can't say I blame him...). Be interested in your views over the differences with the standard "7" when you've had a chance to evaluate.[/QUOTE]

My first impressions are that there's not a massive difference, more grip certainly and a little better at sorting out 'congested music', but lacking the overall sweetness of the 7. However I really do share Leon's view that these things improve significantly with time. My own experience with the 25R pre certainly demonstrated this, of this I am in no doubt whatsoever.

My best advice when you get your 7R Paul is to plug it in and play it for ages before you evaluate, that's where I am. Plus I do believe that moving away from something you've just loved to something new is best given time. Perhaps this applies to things other than hi-hi ;-)

Good advice Ian and will be well received. I already miss the Agathons, and although the Harbeths are no lightweights, I miss the seismic bass (in my room anyway) of the Aagthons. I was going to look at matching a sub with the SHL5s but reckon I'll leave it for 6 months or more until I adjust to the different sound. The 5's go plenty low anyway but its expected that changing kit needs a proper evaluation time I guess.

The chap I bought the 7R from reckons it's amongst the best bass he's ever heard. I really value his views too, very knowledgeable and has had more hi-fi pass through his hands than any sane man should.

I'm looking forward to your review Ian. I loved the 7 but never tried the 7R. I do wonder at what point of the croft line up does "the law of diminishing returns" really hits hard.

The 7R monos are most certainly not 4 times better than the 7....I suppose they never are

To my mind the 7 is a fantastic amp & is the sound per pound bargain of the 7 series. The 7R & mono's just build on the sound giving a bigger sound stage with a deeper more authoritive bass, the flavour remains the same, which to my mind is a good thing.

Simon.

Ok, here we are. It is a better amp, of this I have no doubt (stuck a pair of TJ FMs in it today). At the moment there's no 'night and day' thing going on and if I'm to be honest I'm not expecting that, we're all very aware of the law of diminishing returns.

I completely agree with you Simon on the 7 though, for what it does I think it's an absolute steal. And don't worry Leon, you've got the better one !

I'll leave it there for the moment and do what I said I'd do in terms of giving it time. I'll pop back in the review section with my thoughts at some time.

I'm very happy - I have my Scalford system ! Perhaps I should keep the 7 for then, one in the morning, one in the afternoon ?

And finally finally, if you have any of the current Crofts I emplore you to try the TJ FM 12AX7s. For this purpose I'll give Lorenz at Wiwi Tubes another plug, £45 a pair delivered.

Sort of on topic: how much transformer hum (ie mechanical hum from the case as opposed to through the speakers) do other users get from their 7 and is there a noticeable difference in this respect between the 7 and 7R?

thanks

Hi,
There is a little hum from my 7R mono,s, probably less than the 7R I owned before. My 25RS power supply is by far the loudest but non of this can be heard once in my listening seat with or without music playing.

Simon.