• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
lordmortlock

A neat little iPad trick

27 posts in this topic

You can use iPeng to play back music, it emulates a squeezebox and so you can control it from an iPhone or anything with a browser.

Interesting - this means that you could use an old, cheap iPod touch as a squeezebox into a USB DAC...

Update: Just tried this with the USB input of my Abrahamsen V6 and it works perfectly! My only concern is that it played back 24-bit files as well... which the V6 doesn't support via USB. So there must be resampling going on somewhere. Still, for a second system with a USB DAC, this would be a very nice alternative to a Squeezebox Touch.

I used this camera connector, which costs all of £3.25.

I also use iPad with camera kit running Squeezeplay to play FLACs via USB into B&W MM1s. What the camera kit does not give you is full digital out, its only LOD, so I cannot capitalise on MM1 internal DAC, or my FiiO usb DAC. But it's a good alternative to itunes.

If you need to you can control Ipad from any other SBT and synchronise etc, as the server just sees another streamer. This is quite handy when I want to surreptitiously turn down teenagers max R&B playing in another room...;-) they ahvn't figured it out yet.

An alternative for non ipad/iphone users with lappies id to use Squeezplay (Squeezebox SW emulation), transforming pc it into a streamer. This way you can use a portable USB DAC and access your FLACS.

I am ever so pleased that - being deprived of music - some get by with overhyped-priced Apple products.

You can use iPeng to play back music, it emulates a squeezebox and so you can control it from an iPhone or anything with a browser.

Interesting - this means that you could use an old, cheap iPod touch as a squeezebox into a USB DAC...

This works great on my Ipad but will not work with my touch, says it needs newer software, so the older Touches obviously do not support the play feature.

This works great on my Ipad but will not work with my touch, says it needs newer software, so the older Touches obviously do not support the play feature.

Ah, belay that me hearties! got it to work with the touch, brilliant bit of software.

Ah, belay that me hearties! got it to work with the touch, brilliant bit of software.

Ah the joy was short lived! Ipeng stutters and jumps like mad. £2.99 wasted, however for the same price I realised that Squeezepad will do the same thing and it works brilliantly. no dropouts or stutters, oh but hang on, it is not compatible with the touch. Still never mind, it's a great feature to have on my Ipad so i will have to be satisfied with that.

What the camera kit does not give you is full digital out, its only LOD, so I cannot capitalise on MM1 internal DAC, or my FiiO usb DAC. But it's a good alternative to itunes.

Really? I thought it bypassed the internal dac completely?