• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Samantha

Sea-saw Yawn Continuum

15 posts in this topic

Tonight while driving home from work, I saw a driver on the other side of the road having a huge yawn. As oft happens when you see such an event, I yawned too.

This got me thinking.

If traffic at both sides of the road was a steady flow, both doing exactly 60mph, would my yawn be caught by a driver on the other side driving in the opposite direction, then to be seen and caught by a driver coming my way and so on.

As such, the yawn could be held in a state of perpetual existence in the stretch of road covered by drivers passing it on/back/on. Could that yawn become immortal.

Sadly I suspect as night draws, drivers would no longer see each other and so the empathetic yawn would perhaps fade away faster than the latest x-factor/pop-star/talent show winner's career.

But, if when I drive that same stretch of road in the morning, someone yawns coming towards me, then I shall rejoice at the phoenix resurrected yawn.

Problem is yawns have wave-partial duality.

This can be shown with the double slit experiment.

Wave-Particle surely.

:^ lol - love it. Someone should start it off on the Olympic torch run too - pass the torch and the yawn!

The final of the 100m. Just as the sprinters are settling into the blocks, someone yawns and instead of a Mexican wave we have a Mexican Yawn rippling round the stadium and, given that someone somewhere will start making that noise peopelmake when yawning, others will join in and so this will be transmitted to the sprinters a second before the gun fires. And the race will be run in a World record slow time of 18.3 seconds.

The final of the 100m. Just as the sprinters are settling into the blocks, someone yawns and instead of a Mexican wave we have a Mexican Yawn rippling round the stadium and, given that someone somewhere will start making that noise peopelmake when yawning, others will join in and so this will be transmitted to the sprinters a second before the gun fires. And the race will be run in a World record slow time of 18.3 seconds.

We have Mexican yawns at work - in a block of six desks all facing inwards its quite easy to achieve. It also speaks volumes for the excitement of our jobs.........

k

Maybe it goes all the way down to you Sodders.

Update on the Yawn continuum .....

Sadly the yawn had left the stretch of road where it was last seen doing the sea-saw relay.

However since the contagious yawn is apparently not just a human thing, I decided a scientific study was required.

My evidence (on an admittedly small sample size) is that if you yawn, a dog will catch it far more often than a cat will. Arguably this could be due to cats having a lack of empathy. Studies do suggest that in humans, those higher up the Autistic scale are less likely to "catch a yawn".

So ..... next thought - could a yawn in court be used as evidence if someone is using a psychological defense in a murder trial - i.e. someone who claims to be a sociopath and therefore less culpable would be proved to be a fraud if they respond and yawn.