mojo_pin

cdp on 220v is it safe for the uk power supply?

8 posts in this topic

hi all

i have been given a new cdp by a friend,well by new i mean new for me :)

it is 220v though and i'm worried that if i use it i may cause a fire.

also if i use it will it not die pretty early on due to being over powered by our 230+v

the cdp is one from china sharling cd100se bought from china for a project,

now my cdp stopped worked he offered to me.

should i use it or not???

i did hear about step down thingy's but i also heard they shorten the life as the cdp or amp

has to work harder.

Hi,

I would think that the internal transformer will run very hot, so my advice would be not to use it. However it would be a simple matter to change the transformer perhaps for something from RS/Farnell or even a scrap UK spec CDP.Assuming you or the person doing the work had the necessary skills etc.

think that's ^ the problem in the UK, the voltage coule be anywhere from 230V - 250V. Just measured my supply and it's sitting at 232V this morning which is very low!

Hi

The UK voltage is regulated to 230V +10% /-6% i.e. 253V - 216V hope this helps

Mike

Just to add, mains voltage is usually around the 240v mark or higher, not usually the lower end, you could have it checked by an electrician to see what your local voltage is.

Shanling products that are officially imported by Real hifi have the transformers changed to 240v rated items, so as to avoid the possibility of over heating transformers

Hi

The voltage can be very dependent on where you live. how well distributed the adjacent dwelling are over the 3 phases and the loads those dwellings pull from the mains it can and will very during the day and in some instances be very time dependent. My voltage is usually in the range of 225 -235 yet my son's is 240 - 250 and we both live on the edge of villages about 15 miles apart. the only true way to find your voltage is to have a voltage recorder attached to your supply for a couple of days to to see what the results are.

Mike

The voltage can be very dependent on where you live ... the only true way to find your voltage is to have a voltage recorder attached to your supply for a couple of days to to see what the results are.

Very, very true. Weekdays will be different from weekends/holidays. The pattern in winter will be different from that in summer (watch the effect of the street lights coming on at the same time as the electric cookers). When my missus was a student she had a scholarship with the CEGB. She spent some time in the main control room in London. The policy then was to put frequency stability (50Hz) first and let the voltage drift as the load fluctuated. In continental Europe they tended to work the other way round apparently. I believe that the UK policy still has some very tight limits on frequency excursions and one of the tools for managing these is to allow the voltage to flap about, so to speak.

VB