alank950

Record Cleaning Machine Wanted

40 posts in this topic

lol John,

I think Ye have me there :oops: I did suggest though that it helps to get an even application across the whole surface of the record so at least have that bit right :) so the main properties that are helpful are an increase in the spreading abilities of the liquid & also a slight increase in the liquids "stickiness"

B.R.

Chris

No worries Chris - I just remember why I needed a wetting agent in my photography work - basically for the same reason. (A long time ago)

:^

:D

Thanks guys ,interesting stuff.making a batch of fluid up next week.

Hi Alan,

In simple terms, think of if it as a bit like detergent without the nasty additives. Rather than simply use detergent....which might contain nasties which I personally wouldn't care to put anywhere near my vinyl. Use photographic wetting agent as it's easy to source & is known to be suitable for this purpose....it has other properties too which are helpful when using a vacuum R.C.M. in that it helps decrease the surface tension of the made up cleaning fluid, which helps to get an even application of fluid across the whole surface of the record....it also has uses in gardening & hydroponics as an additive to spray feeds etc. for similar reasons.

I made some cleaning fluid last w/end & I think I previously suggested 8-10 drops of wetting agent per litre but I actually used around 15 this time & it seems to be working really well, so I may stick to this in the future.

Cheers fella

Chris oooooooot :)

Chris how do you deal with the static on the LP,s after cleaning..have you heard of this

Zerostat 3 Discwasher?,,,, or is there another method of removing the static..That Zerostat is nearly £50

Thanks

Chris how do you deal with the static on the LP,s after cleaning..have you heard of this

Zerostat 3 Discwasher?,,,, or is there another method of removing the static..That Zerostat is nearly £50

Thanks

I find that there is a terrible static problem if I only dry wipe a record, but that wet cleaning them in my RCM (Moth) doesn't produce that problem at all.

If I dry wipe some vinyl, I can pick up the record and remove it from the turntable with my heavy Dumpa mat still attached by static!

I get absolutely no problems, with static build up following wet cleaning on my moth pro either John, I've heard some people claim in the past that increased revolutions during cleaning can be a cause of this & therefore recommend 3-4 revs each way.....I now actually scrub for 6-7 revs in each direction as I find this pretty much always gives good results with no further cleaning being necessary.

I do wonder whether other domestic/environmental issues may perhaps sometimes be the cause of static problems occurring for some with l.p. cleaning/replay.....a few years ago I used to wear a lot of high tech fabric outdoorsy clothing during the summer particularly, i.e. gore-tex/fast drying polycotton cargo pants, shirts etc & I would often get static build up when playing vinyl, I'm sure some will have had the experience of touching an escalator handrail & getting a small static discharge.....I now pretty much always wear natural fabrics wool/cotton/linen/silk etc....other than water proof coats.......I may be talking ooot of my arse re this point :dunno:, but I do wonder whether carpets that have a polyester content may be a contributory factor in some households as like I say I have no problems at all re this & all my rugs etc are pure wool.

When I used to get static build up in the past I used to find touching the metal (aluminium) handle of my carbon fibre record cleaning brush to the spindle of the record deck would allow it to discharge.

I get absolutely no problems, with static build up following wet cleaning on my moth pro either John, I've heard some people claim in the past that increased revolutions during cleaning can be a cause of this & therefore recommend 3-4 revs each way.....I now actually scrub for 6-7 revs in each direction as I find this pretty much always gives good results with no further cleaning being necessary.

I do wonder whether other domestic environmental issues may perhaps sometimes be the cause of static problems occurring for some with l.p. cleaning/replay.....a few years ago I used to wear a lot of high tech fabric outdoorsy clothing during the summer particularly, i.e. gore-tex/fast drying polycotton cargo pants shirts etc & I would often get static build up when playing vinyl, I'm sure some will have had the experience of touching an escalator handrail & getting a small static discharge.....I now pretty much always wear natural fabrics wool/cotton/linen/silk etc....other than water proof coats.......I may be talking ooot of my arse re this point :dunno:, but I do wonder whether carpets that have a polyester content may be a contributory factor in some households as like I say I have no problems at all re this & all my rugs etc are pure wool.

When I used to get static build up in the past I used to find touching the metal (aluminium handle) of my carbon fibre record cleaning brush to the spindle of the record deck would allow it to discharge.

Chris - I have no doubt at all that there is a lot of truth in what you are suggesting. We used to have a very nice blue carpet in our lounge - but it was purely made of polyester or some similar man-made material. The shocks we sometimes got touching metal objects after walking on that carpet were actually slightly painful.

I find that there is a terrible static problem if I only dry wipe a record, but that wet cleaning them in my RCM (Moth) doesn't produce that problem at all.

If I dry wipe some vinyl, I can pick up the record and remove it from the turntable with my heavy Dumpa mat still attached by static!

So you think that if i run them through a solution in my disco antistat ,that should be fine?.Gonna give them a go with a steam cleaner also.Seen a few vids on utube about this and as long as the steamer is not held to close it does a great job.

Hi Alan,

I reckon it's a case of suck it & see....if you do find you have a persistent problem with static then the Milty Zerostat gun may be worth considering as I've seen many people claim in the past that its done the trick for them, Superfi stock it for £40-95 http://www.superfi.co.uk/search.aspx?searchTerm=milty%20zerostat, that includes mainland UK delivery...not sure about N.I. tho, so I've also included a link from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0033SHDSS/ref=asc_df_B0033SHDSS8264794?smid=A16D1Q3U7G1XSE&tag=kelkmp-ce-delta-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0033SHDSS , the seller is still Superfi, but it does say UK delivery, which unless otherwise stated should include N.I. :^

So you think that if i run them through a solution in my disco antistat ,that should be fine?.Gonna give them a go with a steam cleaner also.Seen a few vids on utube about this and as long as the steamer is not held to close it does a great job.

p.s. Amazon do 99% I.P.A. for £6-99 inc UK delivery which seems gvfm...if you need to source more in the future

Chris oooot

Hi Alan,

I reckon it's a case of suck it & see....if you do find you have a persistent problem with static then the Milty Zerostat gun may be worth considering as I've seen many people claim in the past that its done the trick for them, Superfi stock it for £40-95 http://www.superfi.co.uk/search.aspx?searchTerm=milty%20zerostat, that includes mainland UK delivery...not sure about N.I. tho, so I've also included a link from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0033SHDSS/ref=asc_df_B0033SHDSS8264794?smid=A16D1Q3U7G1XSE&tag=kelkmp-ce-delta-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0033SHDSS , the seller is still Superfi, but it does say UK delivery, which unless otherwise stated should include N.I. :^

p.s. Amazon do 99% I.P.A. for £6-99 inc UK delivery which seems gvfm...if you need to source more in the future

Chris oooot

Thanks Chris

Ebay have some good prices on I P A also.Its the wetting agent i am having trouble sourcing.The smallest i can find is 1ltr on ebay and i dont need that amount.Gonna ring a local camera shop here tomorrow to see what they have.

The static shocks i get sometimes from my equipment is serious and quite alarming especially when i am not expecting it.Makes me go" ####!" sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Alan,

Chris oooot

Thanks Chris

Ebay have some good prices on I P A also.Its the wetting agent i am having trouble sourcing.The smallest i can find is 1ltr on ebay and i dont need that amount.Gonna ring a local camera shop here tomorrow to see what they have.

The static shocks i get sometimes from my equipment is serious and quite alarming especially when i am not expecting it.Makes me go" ####!" sometimes.

The Ilford Ilfotol (wetting agent) I use is in a 250m.l. bottle, if you strike out trying to source it or something similar locally try Jessops..mail order they only stock it in one litre for £11-95...which as you suspect would likely last forever, you could maybe split it with someone else perhaps & still have more than enough :^

If you go online get triple distilled water rather than use the deionised stuff from Halforfds. According to my daughter that is what they use in the labs for biology/chemistry because it has absolutely no nasties in it whatsoever. I also heard somewhere that methyl alcohol was better than Isopropyl but i do not know for sure - years ago when i worked in a hi fi shop we used Methyl in the KMAL machine.

Do not overdo the alcohol there is a lot on the internet about it if you search - i would not do more than a 2 parts alcohol to 8 parts water as the alcahol can be damaging over time if the mixture is too strong.

Thanks for the tip about the photographic wetting agent sounds to be a brilliant addition.

I bought an okki nokki cleaning machine on ebay for just over £300 and its brill. I also use a microfibre cloth rested on for a few turns to make sure the LP is totally dry.

mate has a Moth Rcm he is selling if still required

mate has a Moth Rcm he is selling if still required

...and on the theme of returning to the OP, try speaking with Terry at Loricraft in Lambourn. He sometimes has ex-demo cleaners for sale. I have one myself and would recommend it. Squeaky clean results - no blades and no static.

Not really sure of the point you're making here Kevin.....given that Alan the op has asked many of the subsequent points being discussed :dunno::dunno:

Given that he's baulked at the price of a new vacuum type R.C.M. & is enquiring re S/hand ones & has subseqently bought a Spin Clean.....I doubt even a S/hand Loricraft would b enticing as the price would still likely b rather high. As has already been discussed...other vacuum R.CM.'s i.e Moth that use a carbon fibre brush & vacuum arm...not blade :dunno::?...do not in themselves cause static, this is far more likely to be an environmental factor...I myself get none despite using a prolonged cleaning cycle which I've found to give better results.

Whilst I agree that Loricraft/K.M. are lovely things & are undoubtedly v. high quality & nice things to own....I'm unsure of the point you are trying to make here as I don't really see how if used proficiently you can't do an equally good job using other mfrs offerings, such as my Moth Pro RCM(self modded:cool::geek:) with which I can bring even totally crudded up vinyl up to scratch wiv just one cleaning cycle :^

...and on the theme of returning to the OP, try speaking with Terry at Loricraft in Lambourn. He sometimes has ex-demo cleaners for sale. I have one myself and would recommend it. Squeaky clean results - no blades and no static. :nup::nup: