Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

rocker65

So what are the best value med cost car tyres?

30 posts in this topic

The best wearing tyres according to 'WHICH' in your tyre size are

Michelin energy saver, at £70 a tyre

Vredestein Hi Trac at £53 a tyre. However the Vredesteins came last in the test, with noise, dry braking and dry handling rated as poor.

A good compromise looks like the Kumho solus KH17, not quite as long lasting, but a good tyre and only £54 each, or the Goodyear Duragrip, an even better performer and as long lasting as the Michelin at £60 a tyre.

^ Buy part-worns, if you're stretched at the moment. Far cheaper than even budget new tyres, you can often pick up good branded tyres, and they all have plenty of life left: they tend to come from Germany where tyres have to be replaced in pairs if one is punctured. Ok, so you won't get as many miles out of them as you would a new set, but the very low price negates that problem, and will keep you on the road until you can afford to buy a full set of new tyres.

There's a part-worn place near me that does 14" tyres for £15 each, fitted and balanced, with the old ones disposed of.

Quick google search reveals a few places near you:

http://www.yell.com/s/part+worn+tyres-bournemouth.html

^ Buy part-worns, if you're stretched at the moment. Far cheaper than even budget new tyres, you can often pick up good branded tyres, and they all have plenty of life left: they tend to come from Germany where tyres have to be replaced in pairs if one is punctured. Ok, so you won't get as many miles out of them as you would a new set, but the very low price negates that problem, and will keep you on the road until you can afford to buy a full set of new tyres.

There's a part-worn place near me that does 14" tyres for £15 each, fitted and balanced, with the old ones disposed of.

Quick google search reveals a few places near you:

http://www.yell.com/s/part+worn+tyres-bournemouth.html

Hi JPG,

I can not tell you how gratefull I am for all of this information.

I will definitly be looking at the part worn tyres to keep me mobile.

Rgds.

Hi JPG,

I can not tell you how gratefull I am for all of this information.

I will definitly be looking at the part worn tyres to keep me mobile.

Rgds.

We are running both our cars largely on part-worns at the moment, mainly for economic reasons. They are indeed good quality tyres, and we use a place which comes highly recommended within our community - one man band, well-known to all etc. We don't do high miles, nor do we steam around at breakneck speeds. The tyres are properly fitted, balanced, and we have never had any problem them, unlike some brand new budget tyres we have had in the past. £20 each well spent IMO.

:^

PS Our tyres don't come from Germany, btw. The same rule of changing in pairs applies to all our police cars.

Yes, another vote for part worn tyres if money is tight. The only downsides are it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether any particular seller has your size in stock and you can't be too picky about brands, but the low prices negate the downsides.

They also often come from fleets where they have contracts to replace tyres regardless of wear.

the real downside on part worns is that one tyre that got curbed/punture repaired/ran too hot on low pressure in it's early life ie invisible internal structural damages, then finally gives up on you at 75mph on the M4. I couldn't take the risk. Not for £50.

http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/latest-news/150-more-drivers-taking-dangerous-risks-with-part-worn-tyres

I have been buying tyres form MyTyres online. Prices, service all very good. stock comes from Germany where inventories are high so Continental etc all reasonably priced.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Meh. You buy 4 part worns any time you buy a used car, and you don't have people shouting about that. And many people damage their tyres all by themselves - the number of cars I see kerbing tyres while parking is amazing.

Yes, damaged tyres are dangerous. But so many people are driving with unknown tyres that part-worns are effectively a no-extra-risk option. I'd argue that as long as there are no obvious defects, tyres pressures are more important than the origin of the tyre.

I'm going to be buying part worns when I next need tyres.

Meh. You buy 4 part worns any time you buy a used car, and you don't have people shouting about that. And many people damage their tyres all by themselves - the number of cars I see kerbing tyres while parking is amazing.

Yes, damaged tyres are dangerous. But so many people are driving with unknown tyres that part-worns are effectively a no-extra-risk option. I'd argue that as long as there are no obvious defects, tyres pressures are more important than the origin of the tyre.

I'm going to be buying part worns when I next need tyres.

Hardly no-risk. Just more acceptable risk to you. I'd also consider that a sizeable part of part worn stock comes from wrecks and the hire car fleets - all loved and cherished by their first owners ;-) A little different to the tyres you kick on the forecourt at the dealers where you can also judge the state of the car wearing them.

This is the cheapest place (I know of) to buy new tyres online:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/

As for part-worn tyres, I've not experienced any problems when I've run them in the past.

These days, decent 'mid-range' tyres (from the likes of Hankook and Toyo for instance) are not so expensive so my preference is to buy new.

I had Michelin Energy on my previous Reanult Migraine Scenic (not cheap), 3 of them did 60K and the 4th was only replaced early due to the ubiquitous 'unmendable puncture'. Second set was still going strong when I got rid of it at 115K. Cracking value for money.

My new car has Continentals that are fucked at the front after 15K.

Cheers BB

Hardly no-risk. Just more acceptable risk to you. I'd also consider that a sizeable part of part worn stock comes from wrecks and the hire car fleets - all loved and cherished by their first owners ;-) A little different to the tyres you kick on the forecourt at the dealers where you can also judge the state of the car wearing them.

They don't usually come from wrecks. Fleet cars are maintained pretty much regardless of cost too, because companies can't afford to have them out of action any longer than absolutely essential.

I had Michelin Energy on my previous Reanult Migraine Scenic (not cheap), 3 of them did 60K and the 4th was only replaced early due to the ubiquitous 'unmendable puncture'. Second set was still going strong when I got rid of it at 115K. Cracking value for money.

My new car has Continentals that are fucked at the front after 15K.

Cheers BB

Michelins are known for being very hardwearing. Even so you had great mileage out of them. 15K is still good going these days for a set of front tyres, which in most cars have the weight of the engine and gearbox on top of them in addition to being the driven wheels.

I fitted some Kaisers recently (225/45 17 inch) on the S60. Reviews all said they were crap, but most of the reviewers seemed to be 20 something's driving scoobies, so I ignored them. So far they've been very good. Not too noisy and good dry/wet weather grip. Whether they'll last long is another matter. I paid around 80 squid a corner. It can be false economy to go for budget tyres, depending on the car your drive (power/torque/weight etc). Best value by a country mile was Goodyear Eagle NCT5's. I got close on 34,000 miles from the rears on my old Bimmer 325 petrol and the tyres were only £85 a corner fitted and balanced. I had economy tyres fitted previous to that and the rears lasted 6,000 miles (Tyres were £48 fitted and balanced each). Would have got them again but they weren't available in the boot size that the S60 takes and I wasn't going to pay £150 a tyre for Michelins.