rocker65

So what are the best value med cost car tyres?

30 posts in this topic

Hankook is the best of the new.

Also check Vredestein and Nokian. Tough to find but excellent.

I'll second Vredensteins although they can be a bit noisy, but they lasted forever and were decently grippy.

Hankook Ventus V12 - good grip, low rolling resistance, quiet

Toyo Proxy T1R - incredibly sticky so very good grip, good in wet too.

HI, Thanks for the help so far. I am primarily seeking some thing with a good life.

Does anyone have any info re. the Maxxis MA P1 and the Kleber Dynaxer HP3. I think the Kumho Solus KH15 do come into this group too.

It looks as though these are around £110 for a pair fitted, all in. I def do not want to go over this unless some thing with a much longer life can be found to make it more cost effective. (Having to run a household on DLA makes all expediture a nightmare to control).

I have been trying to make some sense of the various review sites that base evaluations on user reports (suposidly),

but they seem so contradictory they are of limited use only.

Many Thanks

Avon are pretty good too.

I allways thought this based on motorcycle experience in the 60's and about 15 yrs ago I had a set of four Avons fitted to a 1ltr Polo. They lasted 4,500mls!!!

Never ever again. I only hope they are better now but I am not going to be the one to find out.

Rgds.

I've got Maxxis on the front of my car, noisy but grip is good in wet and dry, not sure about wear as I've only had them a few months but they don't seem to have worn appreciably.

Yup, the review sites are a bit of a headache, contradictions all over the place. Presumable you're using blackcircles etc? tescotyres uses black circles, I got a major bargain off there 6 months ago as they were selling premium tyres cheaper than black circles, unfortunately that wasnt the case last time I checked.

Would you believe that while researching the two replacements for the fronts I have picked up a nail in one of the good rears.

It is right on the edge of the tread area so I am fully expecting the repairers to refuse to fix it. This has happened to me once before.

I can not find the funds for what is probably now three half decent tyres so may be forced to go to some of the known to be

appauling tyres which besides having bad grip and handling also have a very short life. You know the ones, they have peculiar names

and come from the farest far east. You just can not seem to win sometimes.