• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Tel

Soundbars

34 posts in this topic

I guess it depends on your TV but it has a digital input.

It can also transmit video to the TV from the device you connect to it.

"Optical digital input accepts up to 24/96k music from external devices like TV, Disc Player or Media Streamer.

Component Video Output sends iPod Videos to your HD TV while playing the sound track."

It is also bloody huge!

Any soundbar has to sit in front of the TV, see pic above!

I am not interested in an iPod Dock. I don't own anything manufactured by Apple and I have got a hifi for listening to music properly and a squeezebox radio if I just want background music.

Although I suppose a soundbar would also allow me to use the TV for certain digital radio channels like R6.

It is a bit of a pain but the TV stand is quite short so not a lot of room.

I will have a think about active speakers although if I can't get an optical input a T amp and mini monitors might be an option

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, it has certainly made me consider a few more options :)

how about just get a cheap amp and a speaker switch box to switch the amps into you're LVs?

Dealer

Exactly, a Beresford switch box and a T-amp would do the trick.

how about just get a cheap amp and a speaker switch box to switch the amps into you're LVs?

Basically what Martin suggested in post #2.

Not sure about speaker cable lengths also there is my 100% foo cable loom to consider :)

Oi! I'll have you know I'm perfectly capable of ignoring every post in a thread regardless of device. :cafe:

I bought one of these but it is pretty naff and I doubt any of the other variations by other manufacturers will be any different. The GA on the TV gives as good as the soundbar apart from the sub, which doesn't integrate well and adds a layer to things like news broadcasts which is just plain annoying.

It is going back and I will either look at a pair of active mini monitors or a T-amp and a switch box into my LVs

Wow Kevin,

That's very disappointing considering it's price isn't it ! :roll: If I was in your situation I guess the small active monitor route is the option I'd prolly favour....whichever way you end up going tho' I'm sure the end result will be a lot better than that :td:...It's huge disappointment really that tv mfrs don't manage to squeeze better SQ from their products in the first place really:doh: . It's really good to have your input tho' re this not so good product as my Dad is considering a sound bar....although I do understand some are actually pretty decent :?

I am sure thay are fine in many circumstances, but I would really look at what you are getting and why you are getting it.

If you are not a big action movie fan do you need a sub? Integration is an issue.

If you do get a sub make sure it is adjustable (mine wasn't).

Explore the settings in the TV menu. The defaults on mine were rubbish but there is a 'Custom' setting which gives access to a graphic equaliser on my Panasonic TV which improves matters greatly.

Expectation is another matter. I have put a lot of time, money and effort into my stereo system and know what good sound can be like.

I routed the optical output from the TV through my DAC and then through my stereo and it is no surprise that the sound quality was very good indeed. It is probably unfair to expect a similar standard from a relatively cheap soundbar, although that sound may be perfectly acceptable to a casual TV watcher. I couldn't live with it though.

Thx for your thoughtful reply Kevin.:^ Yup I know exactly what you mean & it's always going to be difficult once your "Comparitive Bar" (scuse!! :rofl:), has been raised beyond a certain point :)

Luckily I have mine well sorted as I have my AV rig fully integrated into my stereo set up & have the choice of nice quality surround or just a plain vanilla stereo option if I like via one of my dacs & straight into my pre-amp, which is my preferred option for music programmes i.e. Jools etc. & even have the option of switching to class AB for more sane power consumption when I have both power amps fired up for any multi channel silliness :roll:...I still think a sound bar may b the preferred option 4 my Dad tho' , so will have to investigate the better sounding of the more sensibly priced ones out there so will prolly check out Yamahas offerings as a starting point.

Quick update to this thread.

I watched a blueray film using the soundbar and it was very good, I really enjoyed the film and it added to the experience. I started to think that I was being a bit hasty and perhaps I should keep it. I then watched a TV prog and all the things that p'ed me off the first time were still there. Unfortunately I don't want to just use the soundbar for the occassional film so it had to go.

I went back to Richer Sounds who gave me a full refund even though I had opened the box and used the system :^

I am now the happy owner of a pair of these CA active speakers.

I connected the digital output from the TV to my DAC and the audio output to the speakers, they are in a nice Piano black finish which matches the TV. I have watched a blueray film and they were very good, not the earth shattering bass you expect from a sub but fast and deep enough for the occasional watch. They are great with TV too which was the main aim.

Just need a switch box which will take one input and switch between two outputs. The Maplins 4 input to one output won't work in reverse so I will need to find something else.

I would suggest looking for one of the better Yamaha YSP Sound Projectors. A few months ago I picked up a Brand New Boxed (NOS) YSP-800 for £170 from a seller on AV Forums. It really was very good value IMO, has decent SQ/good bass and is fairly discreet. The equivalent new model would probably cost in the region of £800. Plenty of these come up on AV Forums and E-Bay.