Tel

Soundbars

34 posts in this topic

I recently got hold of a s/h Panasonic TX-L42E30B LCD TV and a LG BD555 Bluray player for £200 which I thought was a bit of a bargain!

Unfortunately the SQ from the TV is pretty shit. I found a custom setting in the menu and have played around with the Graphic Equaliser which has certainly improved it from the two preset options but it is still not great.

I don't really want a full AV system and don't watch that many films but I did hire a couple of bluray films and linked the sound through my stereo and enjoyed it.

I don't really want the valve monos on all the time I am watching the TV though, especially eating up my precious WE 300B!

I popped into Richers today resigned to looking for the smallest possible 2.1 solution and was shown these Soundbars. Some come with a wireless sub and some are stand alone. According to the Richers sales guy 'decent' surround sound kicks in at >£500 but he reckoned reasonable performance was possible for less.

On the cheap end of the scale he recommended ether the Yamaha YAS 101 or with a sub the Samsung HWE450

I realise this is the equivalent of posting in two channel for advice on a cheap iPod Dock but would appreciate any thoughts on the above or any other suggestions.

I do not have space for a BFO AV amp though.

I had the same issue, trying to avoid valve usage when I was using an Eastern Electric.

I bought a Mini T and a Beresford switching thing that allowed me to select between amps. I now watch TV and films using the Mini T into my LVs. It sounds great. The Beresford is completely transparent to my ears and the Mini T sounds really good.

I've got an Orbitsound T12, and really pleased with it, good sound and very compact.

Have a looksie. :^

Looks interesting, but maybe a bit tall, ideally it needs to sit in front of the bottom of the TV

TVSoundbar.jpg

I had the same issue, trying to avoid valve usage when I was using an Eastern Electric.

I bought a Mini T and a Beresford switching thing that allowed me to select between amps. I now watch TV and films using the Mini T into my LVs. It sounds great. The Beresford is completely transparent to my ears and the Mini T sounds really good.

Interesting idea Martin, not sure about location and length of my speaker cables though. Will have to have a look

It looks as if you may have enough room either side of your TV for a pair of mini-monitor type speakers, how about a pair of these hooked up to a Mini-T? They ain't too shabby in the sound department, they're nice 'n' cheap and the finish matches yer TV ;)

Now that is a thought,

Any one know of a T amp with an optical digital input and built in DAC?

Edit: Just realised I don't need a DAC, I can use my Rega DAC and just switch the output between the pre-amp and T Amp

No room on the top shelf (I presume you mean the one below the TV) CDP is away having a new mech fitted.

I suppose I could chuck a telephone directory under the TV :)

I like the idea of the soundbar but another potential problem is that it might obscure the receiver for the remote, I think it is located next to the little green light on the TV.

I had a demo of the new NAD 2.1 soundbar/dock system yesterday and was very impressed.

It can be wall mounted which makes for a very neat installation.

It can "dock" wirelessly to pretty much any type of phone and the sound quality is very impressive for this type of box.

I'd say easily a match for the B&W zeppelin and better than a Logitech Boom.

Hi Kevin,

As you also seem to b considering small speakers + a t amp as one of the alternatives why not also consider active monitors, i.e. Geneleecs/Aktimates/Adam etc. I'm fairly sure some come equipped wiv digital inputs which may be pretty much ideal as you only then need one optical connection out from your telly & this route will keep the extra box count low yet should ensure decent SQ :^

Interesting idea Martin, not sure about location and length of my speaker cables though. Will have to have a look
It looks as if you may have enough room either side of your TV for a pair of mini-monitor type speakers, how about a pair of these hooked up to a Mini-T? They ain't too shabby in the sound department, they're nice 'n' cheap and the finish matches yer TV ;)
Now that is a thought,

Any one know of a T amp with an optical digital input and built in DAC?

Edit: Just realised I don't need a DAC, I can use my Rega DAC and just switch the output between the pre-amp and T Amp

I had a demo of the new NAD 2.1 soundbar/dock system yesterday and was very impressed.

It can be wall mounted which makes for a very neat installation.

It can "dock" wirelessly to pretty much any type of phone and the sound quality is very impressive for this type of box.

I'd say easily a match for the B&W zeppelin and better than a Logitech Boom.

Not sure how I connect my television to that :?

I guess it depends on your TV but it has a digital input.

It can also transmit video to the TV from the device you connect to it.

"Optical digital input accepts up to 24/96k music from external devices like TV, Disc Player or Media Streamer.

Component Video Output sends iPod Videos to your HD TV while playing the sound track."