Guest GangsterNumber1

SBT - Who knows the truth?

42 posts in this topic

I've now read quite a few threads about it.

Some state that it sounds "as good" as my £300 cd player,others saying better than their £2000 one

and that adding an expensive DAC makes no difference and others saying it does.:?

Who's going to let me try one for free - with and without a DAC

As it isn't sold in any high st shops afaik the answer is nobody.

If you filled in your profile other solutions might be available.

Don't you think that it would be a little more wise to stick around a while on the forum so that we can get to know you, rather than asking for charity immediately upon your arrival?

For all we know you might be a bit of a gangster! :D

:^ (Reg.Charity No. - No)

If you buy one online from a UK supplier I imagine that the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regs http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Situationsthatcanchangeyourconsumerrights/DG_183048 will apply. So if you don't like it you can send it back and get your money back.

VB

when i bought a SBT i tried radioheads king of limbs 16bit red book standard cd via a marantz UD9004 £5k and Dcs puccini/u-clock £ 13k

then 24bit hi-rez download via SBT with its own dac - was stunned as the £200 quid SBT sounded better

both marantz and dcs still sound beter on sacd & 24bit downloads

& vinyl of radiohead still sounded the best 100% sure higher rate sample are better , pity choice is still so limited

Cheers for that.That's the problem.With the music I listen to I don't think 24 bit is avaliable.It's mostly compilations and stuff

that have been processed from analogue to digital and sound pretty compressed.

Cheers for that.That's the problem.With the music I listen to I don't think 24 bit is avaliable.It's mostly compilations and stuff

that have been processed from analogue to digital and sound pretty compressed.

So not on CD then?

If you are talking about compressed files why the worry about comparison with CD?

Give a decent source the SBT with it's own DAC is certainly as good as a £300 CDP. I sounds very good with Spotify premium as long as the recording is up to it. An external DAC improves things even more.

So not on CD then?

If you are talking about compressed files why the worry about comparison with CD?

Yes,I'm talking about original CD's.They all vary in quality.As you know,when you get them in the retail store some are recorded well and some terrible,and converting them to lossless isn't going to change that

In all honesty, the small differences between audio components only really jump out at you with the best-recorded material. Crap will sound crap however you play it.

Mib has a point although interestingly I was listening to an early Coltrane album today - very mushy in parts but one of the things I noticed was how much more the Roksan lifted from the groove than my Rega P25 used to. Conversely does an excellent recording sound brilliant on Tesco boom box or Dansette?

Yes,I'm talking about original CD's.They all vary in quality.As you know,when you get them in the retail store some are recorded well and some terrible,and converting them to lossless isn't going to change that

I don't see what you are on about then.

Well recorded material sounds very good on an SBT, as to the internal DAC isn't there already a thread on this?

It would be really helpful if you filled in your profile then we might have a better idea of where you are coming from.

I have a SBT - I also have a CEC TLO CD transport (think they retailed around £22,000 - happily bought mine s/h - my point here is that it isn't a £300 CDP, it' sanother league). So. . .

The SBT holds its own - very happy listening to music on it. The CEC is better. But the SBT through a DCS DAC - very good indeed - am I surprised, frankly as it cost me about £140 - YES.