oldfogey

Official - Germans no longer like penalty shoot-outs

29 posts in this topic

Following Bayern's loss at the Champion's League finals on penalties, the (German-Swiss) head of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer "to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs."

You couldn't have written the script, could you?

A straight forward arse kicking contest would work for me! First one to chicken out loses.

Maybe an after match disco where you you have to get off with the other teams mrs.

Chelsea would have slaughtered bayern.

A game of Simon Says.

Another period of added time, with randomly selected fans replacing the players on the pitch.

Freestyle battle rap.

When I first read this I thought it was just a funny thread but did not realise that it was an actual quote from this idiot. By the way who brought penalty shoot outs in to the World Cup , that would be Sepp Blatter . As you say you just could not write this .

Ja, I agree that penalties could better be superseded by meaningful match-stats, such as a complex or simple equation including shots on target/corners/possession/yellow-red cards/nice hair-styles.

Bayern deserved to lift trophy for 5th time 9 days ago, and Chelsea Ladies deserved to win Cup Final 2 days ago. OR have a 11 vs 11 scrap to retain match-ball. OR a Eurovision shite-noise rigged-voting block-politics thing. Etc.

Ideally, this formula would be more representative of deserving winner than is Duckworth-Lewis in e.g. T20 cricket. Blatter the Twatter - occasionally he is almost right.

I do remember Chelsea as European Cup-Winners Cup 1971 winners in 1972 (having won a fixture 13-0 and 8-0) then drawing against DWS Amsterdam probably 0-0 home and away, and going out on toss of painted disc or something.