• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
oldfogey

Official - Germans no longer like penalty shoot-outs

29 posts in this topic

Following Bayern's loss at the Champion's League finals on penalties, the (German-Swiss) head of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer "to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs."

You couldn't have written the script, could you?

A straight forward arse kicking contest would work for me! First one to chicken out loses.

Super Wammer

The ancient game of shin kicking would provide a real spectacle .

A game of Simon Says.

Another period of added time, with randomly selected fans replacing the players on the pitch.

Freestyle battle rap.

Super Wammer

When I first read this I thought it was just a funny thread but did not realise that it was an actual quote from this idiot. By the way who brought penalty shoot outs in to the World Cup , that would be Sepp Blatter . As you say you just could not write this .

Super Wammer

Ja, I agree that penalties could better be superseded by meaningful match-stats, such as a complex or simple equation including shots on target/corners/possession/yellow-red cards/nice hair-styles.

Bayern deserved to lift trophy for 5th time 9 days ago, and Chelsea Ladies deserved to win Cup Final 2 days ago. OR have a 11 vs 11 scrap to retain match-ball. OR a Eurovision shite-noise rigged-voting block-politics thing. Etc.

Ideally, this formula would be more representative of deserving winner than is Duckworth-Lewis in e.g. T20 cricket. Blatter the Twatter - occasionally he is almost right.

I do remember Chelsea as European Cup-Winners Cup 1971 winners in 1972 (having won a fixture 13-0 and 8-0) then drawing against DWS Amsterdam probably 0-0 home and away, and going out on toss of painted disc or something.