wickerman68

Advice

9 posts in this topic

I have an Audion Silver Night MKII which I love, it is really a power amp but has a volume pot so I currently use as an integrated as only need 1 analogue input....so the question is can the sound be improved with a Pre or is adding another link in the chain pointless..

Chars

the right pre might improve things. Auditioning definitely necessary I would say.

I compared using an Audion pre with just using the single input on the power amp. It's a very noticeable change. The pre brought more drive and dynamics and generally made things more solid sounding. It also seemed to have more headroom before it ran out of breath.

Don't know if Audion have changed their guidelines but they used to say that it wasn't a volume pot, but a 'variable sensitivity' control to help with matching the power amp with any suitable preamp.

So it's not really a volume control at all ...

Anyway as another Audion owner I can unequivocally say that a pre will improve the sound, in agreement with the comments above.

There's an Audion two-box preamp (gold colour) that I used to own for sale at Definitive Audio.