rocky raccoon

Short wall / long wall

77 posts in this topic

Man - I honestly don't know.

I don't think that the speakers have a tilted tonal balance. I hate sound reproduction which is tonally bent. I also have a pair of mint BC1's with the coles super-tweeters and I listen to ATC active 100's regularly - and they both pretty much rule the roost as far as neutrality goes in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I was after tonal neutrality when I couldn't afford it. Now I've got it I want a soundscape detached from the speakers with air and space and life that I can just close my eyes and 'be there'. And I've got that too. It makes the hairs on my arms stand up. I just think that I can do better.

I attribute the failings of my experiment to the room - and I have heard these speakers in better rooms. They just don't like being close to walls. And in this particular situation (with panels at the side reflection points) they give their best on the back wall with a yard behind them and not with the side walls at 2 yards but a foot from the rear wall.

I've just put everything back (nothing blew up - again thank god) and it's the best compromise in my particular room. For whatever reason - it sounds pretty damned good ! I've heard the particular advantages of the long wall approach and I think I know how to get the best of everything. It's called a bigger room.

Time to find a barn & get cracking with Autocad.

How far away are you from the speakers (and how close to the back wall)?

Have you tried to postion your chair such as to form the tip of an isosceles triangle with your speakers and point them at your shoulders?

You won't need more than 2 metres (don't know how many yards...) - see previous post.

Cheers,

Ric

You gotta get yer seating right.

I keep coming into this thread expecting useful tips on speaker positioning :roll::P

I must admit to having tried the 38% speaker placement before...from memory i think the web page was cardass???? this was with Audio Physic Tempo 1s and Ditton 66s, both speakers were set up on axis about 2.5 to 3 meters away (slightly bigger room than above). I must admit, I didn't enjoy the experience, the APs were cracking speakers, very detailed and a great soundstage etc...but jeez, move your head an inch and the whole sound picture just fell apart, was like wearing headphones. My current speaks are close to the back wall, well off axis (which suits these old Tannoys), slight toe in and my listening position about a quater in from the rear wall (just in front of the "standing" bass wave). measured responce at this listening position is very good for this type of speaker, very close to the on axis 1m measurement, but a deeper off axis bass responce.

My advice, play around, you will know when you get the positioning right. Get a mate around to move them for you while you sit and direct, wont take more than an hour to get it right.

I have a curtain behind the speakers and a large vinyl storage rack behind the seating position, carpeted room with 2 seet settee.

CRIKEY...With them in my room i'd loose any musical concentration,i'd have to find them or the hifi another room.

The fibreglass hoods on them used to fart along with a certain bass frequency a year or so ago but I must have moved something because it doesn't happen anymore. I feel the current room layout is a good compromise though :)

How far away are you from the speakers (and how close to the back wall)?

Have you tried to postion your chair such as to form the tip of an isosceles triangle with your speakers and point them at your shoulders?

You won't need more than 2 metres (don't know how many yards...) - see previous post.

Cheers,

Ric

Tuga

speaks are about a yard from the back wall. Seating position is close (too close) to the back wall. It's this line of inquiry I'm going to pursue - with something that is laid back - and slide-aroundable.

After reading Genelec's advice on positioning I experimented (and measured) with different box-to-wall distances and my findings (see this thread) coincided with theirs:

genelecsetup.png

This means that your speakers should go back around 40 cm.

My listening spot is right between the sofa and the TV so I put a small chair into place and move the sofa sideways whenever I'm listening:

7202696178_0fb9795374.jpg

Cheers,

R

I agree. i only have one wall where i can place the speakers, so i have to make the best i can, also the room is only 3.6m x 3.7m.I do have a loft room i purposely constructed 2 yrs ago to put all my kit in this being 3.7m x 8.5m unfortunatly 2 of my sons moved their kit in quicker than i could.Still one day when they leave (how long do sons live with their parents before moving out now adays)

Sadly some of us have no choice, and have to make the best of it. I am in the middle of lining the wall/ceiling corners with superchunks, and they have to be hidden. Like large coving, with lighted niches for the clock and ornaments. Just hope it works!

My listening spot is right between the sofa and the TV so I put a small chair into place and move the sofa sideways whenever I'm listening:

7202696178_0fb9795374.jpg

Cheers,

R

Oh a Harry Bertoia chair, lovely.

I agree. i only have one wall where i can place the speakers, so i have to make the best i can, also the room is only 3.6m x 3.7m.I do have a loft room i purposely constructed 2 yrs ago to put all my kit in this being 3.7m x 8.5m unfortunatly 2 of my sons moved their kit in quicker than i could.Still one day when they leave (how long do sons live with their parents before moving out now adays)

But they come back!

I prefer speakers against the long wall.

IME speakers sound best with space to the sides. I am sometimes tempted to do it t'other way around, but that never lasts long and I always revert.

Shaun ...never mind the speakers - what are those spaceships doing in your listening room?

PS speakers on long wall every time for me.

the 38 percent rule comes from ethan winers page, Mr. Bob