rocky raccoon

Short wall / long wall

77 posts in this topic

Hi folks. In the spirit of inquiry (and because I can) I'm thinking of turning my whole room through 90°. At the moment the speakers are far away on the short wall of a rectangular room. I'm thinking of putting them on the long wall - which will have several consequences:

They can be farther apart, and further away from the side walls.

Has anybody tried this and what did you hear ? Which did you prefer ?

I have mine on the short wall, but I've brought my listening seat in a good 3-4ft from the back wall. Erm, I guess you'll have to try both and see what suits you as there's people with both positions that will say one is better than the other. I didn't like them in the alcoves of my fireplace as it meant the rest of the room was a mess - even with a dedicated room, and they were a bit boomy in the alcoves. Try it though! it's half the fun.

Long wall every time for me if possible, as in most uk sized rooms (19 & a half by 15'ish foot) this allows for positioning well away from corners. I don't have alcoves to deal wiv mind & in any case my current room is dual aspect & as the short walls have largish windows the other option would be less than ideal. This room been pretty much done on a stereo first basis & I enjoy music from either of my Stressless swivel recliners in Paloma Orange leather, & these are pretty much my ideal stereo chairs (one is positioned more favorably than the other tho'......mine of course:D) .

My last couple of places it was short wall, although the rooms were slightly bigger, due to room configuration i.e. cupboards, doors etc & the mahoosive floor to ceiling windows on the unbroken long walls of both rooms. My systems have sounded better in the current room but that's no great surprise, as this time around I've not really had to compromise & it could be a real wrench:upgrade: should I ever have to move.:nerves:

One of my speakers is still right in the alcove but I chose to have them further apart and toed-in *despite dali saying they should have no toe in* - it was just firing into the fireplace otherwise. Sigh the compromises we must make.

Would you say the Paloma leather helps the sound quality,or will the 'batick' leather version be sufficient?;-) [quote name='vacdac']Long wall every time for me if possible, as in most uk sized rooms (19 & a half by 15'ish foot) this allows for positioning well away from corners. I don't have alcoves to deal wiv mind & in any case my current room is dual aspect & as the short walls have largish windows the other option would be less than ideal. This room been pretty much done on a stereo first basis & I enjoy music from either of my Stressless swivel recliners in Paloma Orange leather, & these are pretty much my ideal stereo chairs (one is positioned more favorably than the other tho'......mine of course:D) .

My last couple of places it was short wall, although the rooms were slightly bigger, due to room configuration i.e. cupboards, doors etc & the mahoosive floor to ceiling windows on the unbroken long walls of both rooms. My systems have sounded better in the current room but that's no great surprise, as this time around I've not really had to compromise & it could be a real wrench:upgrade: should I ever have to move.:nerves:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cambs12']Would you say the Paloma leather helps the sound quality,or will the 'batick' leather version be sufficient?;-)[/QUOTE]

A beige velour option is less reflective Stuart :geek:

Long wall for me about 8' apart - plenty of room either side, about 20" of the wall, soft furnishings.

[quote name='rocky raccoon']Hi folks. In the spirit of inquiry (and because I can) I'm thinking of turning my whole room through 90°. At the moment the speakers are far away on the short wall of a rectangular room. I'm thinking of putting them on the long wall - which will have several consequences:

They can be farther apart, and further away from the side walls.

Has anybody tried this and what did you hear ? Which did you prefer ?[/QUOTE]

A bit of reading - [URL="http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm"]How To Set Up a Room[/URL]

"loudspeakers should face the long way into a room.
Peaks and nulls become worse as you approach the rear wall behind you,
and this orientation puts the listening position farther from that wall"

A lot of reading - [URL="http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?67380-Common-Speaker-Room-Setup-methods-and-Room-Measurement-Primer"]Common Speaker/Room Setup methods and Room Measurement Primer[/URL]

Ric

Long wall for me too, l have tried both in many rooms and always find l prefer long wall. This usually compromises the distance the speakers are off the front wall and the space behind the listening chair so pay attention to both of these when setting up. If you can put soft furnishings between the speakers or at the very least not clutter the space between the speakers with audio racks and cabinets you will benefit the imaging greatly.

Nah:D the Paloma's just proper lush...tooootally cushty!!:stereo:

Batick 'd b fine tho' :) The Stressless chairs obviously doesn't change the SQ...although you can easily adjust your position etc. & for me it does seem to add to the experience & as I broke several vertebra in my twenties, decent comfortable seating is really important to me & I do actually almost consider them as a Hi-Fi purchase..bonkers as that might sound:)[quote name='Cambs12']Would you say the Paloma leather helps the sound quality,or will the 'batick' leather version be sufficient?;-)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mondie']Long wall for me too, l have tried both in many rooms and always find l prefer long wall. This usually compromises the distance the speakers are off the front wall and the space behind the listening chair so pay attention to both of these when setting up. If you can put soft furnishings between the speakers or at the very least not clutter the space between the speakers with audio racks and cabinets you will benefit the imaging greatly.[/QUOTE]

Most interesting & helpful posts. I especially agree with you - Mondie. I have the front end in an alcove at the opposite end of the room, monoblocks and nothing in between the speakers. This state of affairs would apply to the potential 'long wall' set up.

I don't have bass issues and I can dial in the sub to suit. One of the things my system does well is the stereo image - especially in the depth plane. I'm wondering if I can get some more of the same - and in the width department - if I have the speakers on the long wall.

By golly I think I'm going to try it. And get a Stressless Paloma.

Hi rocky raccoon

:^ Honestly you wouldn't regret it, Just make sure yours gets preferential positioning & not the one for the Missus? :? ;-) under a cunning ruse of it being for her benefit of course:D

Stuart (Cambs 12) has just outed himself as a fellow Stressless owner in a p.m. to me & I'm sure there's many "Closet" Stressless owners on the forum:)

Chris ooooooooooot[quote name='rocky raccoon']Most interesting & helpful posts. I especially agree with you - Mondie. I have the front end in an alcove at the opposite end of the room, monoblocks and nothing in between the speakers. This state of affairs would apply to the potential 'long wall' set up.

I don't have bass issues and I can dial in the sub to suit. One of the things my system does well is the stereo image - especially in the depth plane. I'm wondering if I can get some more of the same - and in the width department - if I have the speakers on the long wall.

By golly I think I'm going to try it. And get a Stressless Paloma.[/QUOTE]

Just remember to get one of these for your beer/coffee/brandy/remote etc.We didn't,and regretted it since...Back to speaker setup,what are your room dimensions? [IMG]http://www.ekornes.co.uk/stressless-recliners/tables/~/media/Images/Global-Entries/productImages/accessories/Tables/stressless_swing_table2010.jpg?mh=300&mw=556[/IMG]

Mmm - 'bout five and a half meters long by about four wide.
[url]http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/bloodyhell451/Listening/room.jpg[/url]
The speakers would go on the right wall - right speaker wouldn't move much but would come towards the camera as it were. I'd have to re-arrange the absorptive panels a quite a bit (there's one behind the current listening position and a new one which covers the telly when not in use (frequently). The left bass trap would 'assume the position' in the corner behind the speaker accordingly. Records would probably go under the telly. The futon on the right would go. full stop. No one sits on it (unless there's no room on the sofa) but the mattress is good for accommodating drunk guests....

Before anyone says it - there is a rug n- and an abfusor on the ceiling - just found this :
[url]http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/bloodyhell451/overview-2.jpg[/url]

It's a pretty lousy room acoustically (compared with the last gaff - which was excellent) but all the mucking about with room treatment has made it quite acceptable. Except that I wonder whether I shouldn't have done it the other way round in the first place - hence the post.

Looking for a Persian rug & a stressless with single malt glass holding capacity...

[quote name='rocky raccoon']Mmm - 'bout five and a half meters long by about four wide.
[URL]http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/bloodyhell451/Listening/room.jpg[/URL]
The speakers would go on the right wall - right speaker wouldn't move much but would come towards the camera as it were. I'd have to re-arrange the absorptive panels a quite a bit (there's one behind the current listening position and a new one which covers the telly when not in use (frequently). The left bass trap would 'assume the position' in the corner behind the speaker accordingly. Records would probably go under the telly. The futon on the right would go. full stop. No one sits on it (unless there's no room on the sofa) but the mattress is good for accommodating drunk guests....

Before anyone says it - there is a rug n- and an abfusor on the ceiling - just found this :
[URL]http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/bloodyhell451/overview-2.jpg[/URL]

It's a pretty lousy room acoustically (compared with the last gaff - which was excellent) but all the mucking about with room treatment has made it quite acceptable. Except that I wonder whether I shouldn't have done it the other way round in the first place - hence the post.

[COLOR=#ffd700][U][B]Looking for a Persian rug & a stressless with single malt glass holding capacity[/B][/U][/COLOR]...[/QUOTE]

:D Excellent!! R.R. , you would deffo seem to have your priorities right...top stuff :^ re. the range of leathers available there are/were four available in ascending cost. The Royalin is top of the range & the softest, but the least hardwearing, next down is the Paloma range which is also soft but also has better wear characteristics & the leather has a natural face, i.e. not embossed & IMV has the funkiest range of colours, last time I looked their was a new Lime green that was not available when I bought mine. Next down is Batick which is prolly the most hard wearing & has an embossed grain face(I think:?) Can't remember what the bottom of the rang basic leather woz tho'.:?

Cheers Fella

Chris oooooooooooot:D