Vinyl Art

Artists that lived in your life time that you very much regretted having seen

45 posts in this topic

As I go to around ten gigs a month both local and around the UK I have seen some truly dire and appauling acts on stage. Most of them are free so it makes the pain a little more bearable..

So far the worst are:

Rammstein, I saw them twice thinking they would get better with age, wrong! Beyond shite music and not even worth suffering the shite music for the pyrotechnics and stage work. Crap crap, crap.

Maralyn Manson, see above.

Radiohead, Kid A. Got an invite only with the band performing this dire electronic drivel, had to walk out in the break. I love Radiohead and have seen them many times but this gig was rotton to the core.

Pretenders, seen them a few times as my Mrs thinks they are great. Shoot that warbling, skinny, leather legged harriden in the face with a blunderbuss. Good band with a manky crow for vocal duties.

Sigur ros, No, just no. Clang clang crescendo's and vocals way above the hearing of any dog. Dire, tedious and get off stage please.

David Bowie, You might be a god but auto-tune was invented because of you.

Sisters of Mercy, Was obsessed in the early to mid eighties and saw them in early nineties. Drug addled, psuedo-American drawl-pop fueled by too much JD and too many fat goth birds. Uhhhh.

The list goes on................

Sadly as I do like him as an artist it has to be Van Morrison . Paid a not insubstantial sum to see him came out started the first number then about four bars in turned his back on the audience taking the mic with him . Then proceeded to perform the whole concert talking to the band and with his back to the audience the whole time . After about three numbers a few people got a little fed up and started to heckle to which without turning round he just told them if you dont like it f... off . Frankly I did and would never buy a ticket to see him ever again. Did see him play again many years later but that is another story .

+1, although I was fortunate in not having to shell out for the tickets. 45 minutes of hell from the most miserable fucker ever to walk the earth. Twatford.

None.

Absolutely none.

I started going to gigs around the mid-70s, and I don't think there's one yet that I regret going to, though I'll admit a few come close.

Some have been shit, some have been incredible. None would ever put me off going to live performances.

Apart from Van cuntybolleaux, I've been to a few that were disappointing because I had high expectations and was disappointed, including

Depeche Mode

Interpol

Tori Amos (seen her many times, last last couple were really self indulgent pish)

Mind you, I have at least been reasonably careful with regard to what I bought tickets for.

Shawaddywaddy?

Sorry Bob. You deserve what you got...

The Sisters of Mercy in the mid 1990s. My other half was a goth in her youth and dragged me along to see them in london. Apart from (the tiny) Andrew Eldritch dessed in white leather and Tony James (Sigue Sigue Sputnik) on guitar the band sounded like it was all backing tracks. The only gig where I fell asleep standing up.

Last year, Bob Dylan Live at Nottingham… I think he was alive :RIP:, well only just.

Like listening to a dieing toad giving out its last croaks,could not understand a word he sang:wall:.

To sum his performance up, it was :pants::td::shf::sick::zzzz::sos:

Thankfully, we had gone mainly to see Mark knopfler on the same bill, he was brilliant.

Was considering going to se Dylan this July but that post has made my mind up not to.

Poor bands... i've seen Jason and the Scorchers, Gary Glitter both at the 1982 (i think) Status Quo final gig at the Milton Keynes Bowl. Quo were great fun the others were pants!

King Crimson :dunno:

There has been so many versions of KC and so many music types played it would be better if you could

narrow it down a bit. Personally I thought the very early stuff was incredible. Since then I have only liked

bits and pieces.

Rgds.

And walked out on The Who (yeh fuck you Townsend) near the end though.

Bingley Hall staffordshire, could have had a lot to do with them sounding so :sick:

That wasn't in about 1980 was it? Rates as one of my best-ever gigs! (First really big band and we were right at the front, sound quality was the least of my concerns...)

Freddy Star,

His show was appauling. He hardly raised a laugh and kept turning round and talking to the band. He eventually just walked off and cut the show short.

The evening performance was better I was told - not surprising, it could not have been worse.

Can any one beat that.

We should have been given our money back it really was that bad.

Rgds.

Petra Jean Phillipson - at the South Bank a few months ago.

Saw her with David Holmes years ago - great stuff.

Liked her first album.

But this was utter self-indulgent pish with a healthy dose of WTF. Started out with a ten minute solo for tuba and electronica with "dramatic" panting. Should have walked out at that point. The only gig where I've ever fallen asleep.

And walked out on The Who (yeh fuck you Townsend) near the end though.

Bingley Hall staffordshire, could have had a lot to do with them sounding so :sick:

That wasn't in about 1980 was it? Rates as one of my best-ever gigs! (First really big band and we were right at the front, sound quality was the least of my concerns...)

Early 80's I think.

Not the best venue from an acoustic point of view.

And yes, if you're up the front, the sound quality gets a lot lower down the list.

Live bands are like a car crash..... in so many ways.

Ask 3 people @ a gig what they thought & you'll often get 3 very diffrent opinions.

This reminds me of Massive Attack.

My female gig buddy couldn't take the antics of the mosh pit (it were a bit lively) so moved to a quieter spot.

I had the best time. But well away from the action, someone chucked up on her.

Which spoilt her evening.....just a lot. :roll:

Jeff Beck - Albert Hall,after 90 mins of endless guitar solo's we had enough and buggered off.

Can - Greyhound Croydon,I can't even describe how bad they were.

Santana at the Hammersmith Odeon 20 odd years ago. The acoustics were shocking. Could hardly hear Carlos' guitar.