Guest Pac67

NEW from RFC - Room Acoustic Treatment

62 posts in this topic

Well that's what the XTZ room analyser measured; I had predicted 23Hz (room length is a touch over 7.4m). There are higher frequency peaks and a suck-out around 60Hz that I am trying to tame: some success so far by moving the speakers, but I suspect some room treatment would help. Need to do some more experimentation first, but finding time is an issue.

....... I can design and build a one off at twice the thickness using denser glass wool slabs which certainly would act as an efficient absorber at 22Hz. Cost wouldn't be twice as much either...:geek::D

22Hz is a very low room node frequency! Most "average" sized rooms tend to have a lift anywhere from 50 to 100Hz.[/Quote]

Had a play with a pair of the 100mm panels. Stuck two in the corners behind my Duettas and the results were surprisingly good.

Whilst laying them flat against the front wall directly behind wasn't great, laying them at 45 degrees, such that front wall reflection from the long mid/treble ribbon wasn't hindered, did make for a cleaner sound. Paul was adamant there was less vibration on an adjoining wall using the advanced "hand against it" test:D

Good stuff. Recommended as effective - the results you get will totally depend on your speakers/room and where you put them.

Sorry I had to take them with me Justin but they're doing sterling service behind the Harbeths now! Yes, placement is dependant upon speakers and room. In the case of your Apogee dipole panels, directly behind was never going to help as it sucked too much out of them, but across the corners worked very well, as it would with most loudspeakers. The fact it was noticeable just how much it sucked from them directly behind at least goes to prove how effective they are ;-)

The Harbeths have arrived? Cool.

You might be in with an order for these. In fact I think you will be. I'll PM you sooner or later or ring to discuss.

Good plan, Justin. I think the panels at 45 degrees worked very well in your system. Cleaned up the sound nicely - better definition, a more coherent top-to-bottom sound, imho, with improved imaging. :^ (I was there for the dem, too)

Get a pair, and a Parasound A21 amp ;-) and you're there!

Just been trying to buy a Parasound but the owner has decided to keep it...

TBH I thought the Parasound sucked badly in my system until it got fronted by the EAR/Tri-Vista. Then it just ruled. However, it works in your system very nicely without any tubification. I do wonder if I'll really like the combo long term with lots of different types of music, but put it this way, the results with Metallica's LuLu at volume was just astounding!

Well, Alex, after 3 years you can just write-off the cost of the foam bits, I'd have thought!

Hi Alex,

I am happy to custom make any panels you need. I can forward a colour swatch to match to the walls/decor...in fact invite your wife to do this and she may buy in to the project as she obviously will have better taste than you (I had to put that in case your dear lady wife reads this ;-))

A few slender corner bass traps plus a few side panels for the walls (first points of reflection) and a rear absorbant panel would be a minimum in your room as a guess, but you obviously will know what's needed as you've already treated the room. Your wife may insist on the fugly foam things going, you never know! Don't forget you can get the side panels air-brushed with artwork or overlay photos done on canvas (simply stick them onto the panels applying spray adhesive to the corners) by sending off you favourite photos to an on-line photo printers.

Hi Paul,

I will have to have a measuring session over the weekend and send you some photo`s of the room.

It will need some of the thick panels for bass trapping, lots of side and rear treatment and some on the ceiling.

Yes I prefer a fairly dead room, I like to hear things as recorded with no room interference. The depth and positioning on a well recorded CD can be amazing.

What would be the best Email address to send my scribbles ?

Cheerz,

Alex. :D

PM sent Alex. Just ping me a sketch of the room along with furnishing details and I'll draft a suggested initial layout. Best to start light and add only if you need it, although you can never go overboard on bass traps!

Have you any pics of the finished units yet or just the prototypes still?

Just the prototypes Jack. They're all built to custom order. I have a few orders in and will post updated pictures when done.