daveyu

Spur

158 posts in this topic

Looks like I started something here, the facts are that I needed some new powerpoints in a new room for my hifi, so why not get a new spur,

to my ears it makes a difference and I spent the money (not that much really).

Droodzilla, chumpy, and now penance: sodbury rests his case.

I would like to rest my spur on Sodbury but alas it isn't big enough. Mine you am a bit pissed.

Btw, what the fuck is this thread about?

I use two BT mains conidtioning units as filters for my hifi. I bought them for £20 a piece and never hear any clicks or pops. I guess if they are good enough for BT then they are good enough for me. Job done!

Ahhh yes - they were made by Oneac (grey boxes). Quality bits of kit if you can find them.

I liberated a 2 gang Olson mains conditionim unit (from a skip). It is basically a metal box with 2 good quality sockets, and a shielded mains lead into a filter unit. The filter consists of a DC Blocker, RF Choke & Switching noise supressor. The very same type of filters are present in my cheapest of the cheap clock radio. I use it to supply my second system (NAD 325BEE/NAD C520), as it isolates my hifi from a nearby wallwort type power supply. Why this type of filter is not fitted internally as standard in high end kit is beyond me. Very cheap to produce and easy to implement. I would be surprized if they cost more than £5.00 a piece. They would completely negate the need for external filtering and dedicated power supplies.

There are some overly complicated power supplies out there. It should be simple. An amplifier needs good clean power, be it a transister amp or an I/C based amp. Some amps need a regulated (voltage stable) power supply (FET's/Transistors/Op Amps etc), and some amps can get away with unregulated power supplies (Chip Amps such as LM1875/3875 etc). As long as they are a clean DC level (off load for unregulated), and have enough capacitance to cope with the transients of the music at the required level of amplification (for the load supplied).

A filter to remove the DC component from the AC waveform and another filter to remove switching noise and RFI. Then a good quality, low nosie rectifier, and enough capacitance to remove the noise. A monolythic (3-terminal) regulator to take care of the voltage regulation (although, high power systems may need discrete regulation to deal with the extra power), and it really is that simple. Alright, some systems may need more than 1 different voltage, but the principle remains the same.

If your gullible enough to want one and pay the price i'll pop around and put one in, realistic price no returns

I'm lovin the logic here guys......must say I think I'm sold on going for one of these solutions myself....does anyone know of a suitable gimp who can install one of these solutions for me for triple r.r.p. & bonus fee & totally unreasonable surcharges whilst royally rogering me from behind using my ball gag for leverage?:nuts:

If your gullible enough to want one and pay the price i'll pop around and put one in, realistic price no returns

:rofl:

:shaggers::hom::hug::love: