barnacle bill

32 bit music

36 posts in this topic

If 16 bit gives you a dynamic range of 96dB and 24 bit a dynamic range of 144dB and your ears bleed at 150dB why would anybody consider a 32 bit recording?

Who the bloody hell knows Dave. All I do know us that my up and coming Dac is capable of reproducing 32 bit recordings, so if any are available then I would like to listen, even if my ears do bleed :)

Next.

That is often the problem with the numbers game . If they are there and you have paid for them you rightly feel that you should be able to use them . Currently even in the esoteric small companies that are using HD recording I am not yet aware of any that have recorded at 32 bit. However with the new generation of chips being produced all capable of 32 bit (the number is bigger therfore it must be better ? Right ? ) it will not be too long before someone does and there will be downloads . Just wait a while and like the buses two will be along in a minute

Who the bloody hell knows Dave. All I do know us that my up and coming Dac is capable of reproducing 32 bit recordings, so if any are available then I would like to listen, even if my ears do bleed :)

Next.

So it can break the laws of thermodynamics then. A lot of scientists will be very interested in that.

So it can break the laws of thermodynamics then.......

Which ones?

I reckon the 96dB of dynamic range available on CD is probably about enough. What's needed is a few recording engineers and industry "suits" who are willing to use a bit more than 6dB of it.

I think the ninth law came up in an episode of Judge John Deed recently.

The ninth law of thermodynamics. It's not that well known. It's something to do with stirring the food halfway through cooking.

Mmm, the ninth eh? Now that IS something that might be of interest to scientists. As you can see from my signature line I'm more of a second law man myself.

I reckon the 96dB of dynamic range available on CD is probably about enough. .

So do i, but it would be nice to listen to this material if was available hence the question.

16 bit 96dbs

24 bit 144dbs

32 bit 192dbs

That is ear bleeding material, now wondering the point of a 32bit DAC. Thats more a tech question though; processing power :dunno:

Anything out there for download?

There's no such thing.

The best 24bit music file (2L.no) I've analyzed mannaged a whooping 12bit or 72dB of dynamic range.