dinkydave

Can I add additional tweeters to my existing crossovers ?

245 posts in this topic

Wilco- Being There- Dreamer in my dreams

Caroline no- pet sounds

wall of death - richard and linda thompson shoot out the lights

i didnt understand - elliot smith xo

rems last song- we all go back to where we belong

wilco- reservations- YHF

Hi

I'd like to build an isolation platform for my TT. I've been looking at off the shelf products and diy solutions on the net.

As always there are any ways to skin a cat and as a result general design principles are confusing me. One of the first issues I need to resolve is what different components in a platform actually do.

Some use rubber feet of some kind ie sorbothane which will have a significant foot print. Others use metal spikes, ie they are trying to minimise contact of the TT with the surface.

So my first question is why these two different approaches?

Many thanks

[quote name='Hayward']What is, the hype or the dislike?[/QUOTE]

I think the dislike. I've watched many programmes and read a lot of Pet Sounds, which is why I bought it, in absolute praise of it but these always tend to be people in the music business in one form or another. I always think of surfing songs when the Beach Boys are mentioned but never really see the big deal in this particular album.

Lyras are very clean, fast and nimble. the bass is excellent, very quick and has great slam in the right system. They also track very well. I think when I bought my Lyra dorian I described it as having some of the virtues of modern CD sound in a cartridge so I can understand where Adsa is coming from. Personally they are my favourite brand of cartridge - not that they are the only good alternative out there of course but if you like what they do then you'll love them. they have a very clean top end which can border on bright but I've never found it bright in my system, but it is very detailed. I hear a Lyra Delos in a mate's system and again it's detailed with great drive and slam.

If that's what you are after they may well be the best choice for you. If you want a little bit more personality or sense of flow to your music I would look else where - Shelter, Zyx, Shelter or Transfiguration for example or if you want something in the middle of those then maybe look at the Benz carts.

[URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midnite-Vultures-Beck/dp/B000033JZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337717720&sr=1-1"][img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xM4dkQE%2BL._SS500_.jpg[/img][/URL]

Dean..

I think these were the type of units found in the old gramphones and standalone stack 'em high record players (78s???). Is the motor unit isolated in any way from the chassis a la Garrard? If so, is there some kind of transit bolt fitted that is by passing this? Just a thought for your motor rumble issue and thump on start up/stop.

Beautiful sounding cart ,but the cantilever is teeny tiny, effectively brand new in box.
Keith.