• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
gjm

Fitting a cartridge...

46 posts in this topic

This isn't quite as straightforward a task as bolting the cartridge to the headshell, hook up four wires and off you go. Anyone who has tried it is aware of that.

This morning, I had a few minutes spare. Now, I wasn't expecting to get into protractors, gauges and scales but thought I could usefully fit the cartridge to the arm. Two screws - how hard can it be?

Errmm... Impossible.

I checked the screws were correct for the cartridge; the cartridge actually has a threaded body with blind holes for the screws, so it's vitally important that the screws fit the body. They do. And they're not too long - I checked that as well.

However... The screw threads are simply too large to fit through the tonearm headshell! The headshell has two ~8mm long slots and 4 holes in it - the screws would go through one of the holes but that is pointless as the hole is in the wrong place for mounting this cartridge. The centres of the slots appear to be the correct distance apart - I held the cartridge under them to prove this before attempting fitting.

But there is no way that the screws will go through the slots. :x

Is this unusual? Is it just the case that my cartridge takes slightly larger bolts than some others?

There is an obvious and easy solution - remove the arm, and relieve the slots to make space. A pity I need to remove the arm but it may make fitting the cartridge easier once the holes are the correct size... It's only two screws - I'm happy to fit the cartridge with the arm in place on the TT.

I'm just a little nervous about taking tools to the tonearm! There's no other way I can see of sorting this, but thought I'd mention it and ask for suggestions first.

You don't get this sort of grief with a CD player... :minikev:

Unlucky Graham:(,

Never been faced with this as a problem, throughout all my many many cart swaps, so unusual perhaps. Having to butcher your arm does seem to be a severe route to have to take. My hope is that it's a detachable h/shell job & someone who has some experience of this can rec. an alternative h/shell...dunno tho'

Chris ooooooooot

Graham, what's the arm and cart?

The only solution right now will be to fit the cartridge through the headshell holes that do allow the screws to pass, and then do the alignment of the cart by moving the arm base instead. An SME will allow this as will several other makers. It doesn't matter if SOME of the cart overhangs the headshell provided there is enough contact for a firm level fit. If it's a detachable headshell, that's an alternative, affordable route. If you drill the headshell I see no problem at all either. I'd file it out I think, depending on the headshell material.

It's a Roksan Tabriz Zi (integral, not separate, arm and headshell) and a Transfiguration Axia.

There's only one hole that will allow a bolt to pass, and it is at the back of the headshell in a fundamentally wrong position (for this cartridge).

I'll have another look later just to check I wasn't implementing the complete muppet approach to cartridge fitting, but I'm not holding out much hope. :cs:

What about a couple of different screws? The ones supplied might be fractioally outsize and another couple would go though the headshell. Or ask the mfr - aren't cart screws pretty standard thread so if they are using oversize threads others will be having the same problem. Good luck, seems drastic butchering the arm for the sake of a couple of screws

Sent from my GT-I5800 thickphone using Tapatalk 2

just downloaded the manual...see your problem. Hmmmm.

I know your not a muppet, but you have tried screwing the bolts down through the slot? Sometimes the slot is exactly the right size for the ineer radius of the thread?

Yeah I know. well just asking because I did that once and sure enough!

Looks like it's a trip with mr arm to mr friendly engineer to shave something off the slots?

What about a couple of different screws? The ones supplied might be fractioally outsize and another couple would go though the headshell. Or ask the mfr - aren't cart screws pretty standard thread so if they are using oversize threads others will be having the same problem. Good luck, seems drastic butchering the arm for the sake of a couple of screws

Unfortunately, not an option. The cartridge is designed to have the screws thread into it, and not use nuts for fastening. It's the threads that won't pass through the headshell.

just downloaded the manual...see your problem. Hmmmm.

I know your not a muppet, but you have tried screwing the bolts down through the slot? Sometimes the slot is exactly the right size for the ineer radius of the thread?

Yeah I know. well just asking because I did that once and sure enough!

Looks like it's a trip with mr arm to mr friendly engineer to shave something off the slots?

I'd thought of screwing the bolts through the headshell, and that might be possible, but I suspect any subsequent adjustment is going to be tricky. The slot does look to be the right size for the shaft of the bolt - dash that pesky thread!

I count myself as extremely fortunate to know someone who may be able to help - machining the slot to a minutely larger size would be preferable to filing it! I'll give him a call.

Normally cartridge screws are M2.5, I'm surprised they don't fit. Personally, I'd take a drill to it and just run the bit through the slots to open them out, but that's me. Then again, I'm the person who was happy to drill and tap an SME base on a new arm. :D

I'm not sure what size these are... But they certainly don't bleedin' fit through the slots! :grrr::x

The drill option is under consideration. There's no rush... Yet!

I'd open the slots by hammering in a galvanised 2.5mm OD nail and then remove with the claw - easy as you can roll the claw back on the arm tube. :^

I think that might not do the job, I fear one of these might be required.

makita-9554nb-115mm-mini-angle-grinder-710w-3482-p.jpg

:D

Normally cartridge screws are M2.5, I'm surprised they don't fit. Personally, I'd take a drill to it and just run the bit through the slots to open them out, but that's me. Then again, I'm the person who was happy to drill and tap an SME base on a new arm. :D

Would be my approach as well.

Get the end of the arm securely held in a vice and it sould be fine.

Nightmare that this is necessary though. I've fitted so many cartridges to so many arms that I've lost count and I've never come across this before. It's not as though the Transfiguration uses some spectacularly unusual bolts...

i can get the lads at work to sort that out for you, just get it in the post to me:D

33036d1301693146-large-hole-boring-lathe-mill-big-drill-.jpg

Is that a new tonearm design for SPUs by any chance?