BD Audio

Digital room correction available now @ BD-Audio

229 posts in this topic

Connected my AppleTv to the Dualcore this morning via the optical in, everything worked instantly, streaming Blur from our PC as I type, much simpler than the squeezebox setup and a nice big menu on the TV screen for selecting tunes, I like it!

Connected my AppleTv to the Dualcore this morning via the optical in, everything worked instantly, streaming Blur from our PC as I type, much simpler than the squeezebox setup and a nice big menu on the TV screen for selecting tunes, I like it!

Good god man you have a TV in your listening room ? What sort of audiophile are you !!!!!

A practical one most likely, I've got one in mine connecteed to my mac mini only, so I can choose which tunes and surf t'web at the same time.

I have my setup in the Lounge where I can listen to music with my family. It's a rule of the wife but I'm happy enough.

No worries, I mentioned it once but was firmly told no! Wife=boss :P

Just had confirmation that I will be sent a firmware fix for the input voltage on Monday, If you would like me to send it to yourself drop me an email and I will send it across with pleasure.

Word from the manufacturer, an update is available today via the site, I will happily update the product before shipping if required.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core/firmware-update.shtml

Stocked items ready to ship Friday.

http://www.bd-audio.co.uk/room-correction.html

Looks interesting.

Even after reading the online manual I am still a little confused.

If one has a system comprising either:

1. analog source/passive pre/power amp/four way passive speakers or full range speakers (sometimes with a sub - sometimes without a sub - the sub input in my system is taken from a spare output on the pre (rather than from the power amp speaker terminals)) or

2. same as above but a digital source with an existing DAC feeding the pre/power amp,

where does this unit go in the system?

Is it adjusting the signal (be it analog or digital ) between the source and the pre/power amp or does it only adjust a signal from a digital source using its own DACs? Where does that leave my existing (good) DAC in the equation? The manual refers to the use of powered speakers - is that just because it is aimed at the pro market?

Based on the above which version should I consider - stereo or dual core? Excuse my dumb questions but they may help others as well!

Hi

My only interest in these is that I have just bought a Dual Core

"Based on the above which version should I consider - stereo or dual core?"

The 8033S is not really a stereo device; it can accept stereo signals and output them to a mono sub. If you have two subs you could use two of these or two of the cheaper 8033Cs.

The 8033s and 8033c have a limited pass-band (can't remember exactly, but around 250Hz in the case of the 8033S), so they cannot be used to feed full-range speakers. The Dual Core passes the full frequency range and offers correction up to 500Hz (among other things)

"If one has a system comprising either:

1. analog source/passive pre/power amp/four way passive speakers or full range speakers (sometimes with a sub - sometimes without a sub - the sub input in my system is taken from a spare output on the pre (rather than from the power amp speaker terminals)) or

2. same as above but a digital source with an existing DAC feeding the pre/power amp,

where does this unit go in the system?"

It depends what you want to do and which you buy. The 8033C or 8033S would go in the line to the sub and the Dual Core could be used there also.

In 1) you could also put it between your passive pre and your power amp, but you should look at the input impedance and decide if that would work with a passive (I think Speedy Steve uses his 8033Cs this way, but he uses a TVC not a resistive pre). Assuming your DAC feeds the power amp directly rather than going through your passive pre it would obviously have no impact on CD replay in this position.

in 2) you could put the Dual Core between the CDP and DAC (optical connection only) or between the DAC and power amp. Obviously it would have no impact on your analogue replay. I use it between "DAC" and power amps, because I only have an integrated CDP rather than a transport and DAC , however I only use it for my bass amps, so I am not using a lot of its functionality.

"Is it adjusting the signal (be it analog or digital) between the source and the pre/power amp or does it only adjust a signal from a digital source using its own DACs?"

If you feed it digital, it can output digital, or analogue using its own DACs. If you feed it analogue, it converts to digital using its ADCs , processes the signal and reconverts to analogue using its DACs

"Where does that leave my existing (good) DAC in the equation?"

Good question; theoretically you would not need it. I’ll leave Jack to comment if he wants to, but the same concern coupled with an aversion to introducing two more analogue/digital conversions to the mid frequency signal is why I currently only use the Antimode in the base line. That is not to say that it would be inferior to the DACs in my CDP DAC; I don’t know, because I have not compared them.

Great post Park, thanks for the answer.

It is also worth adding you can feed in via a USB (from for instance a PC or Mac) and then back out with optical to an external Dac if that has an optical input, or use the internal Dac and feed out via phonos. As for the quality of the internal Dac that would be a subjective matter, personally I feel it does the job of a Dac very well and use this for digital streaming, I still use my Audionote transport and Dac for cd replay though this is because at the moment I do not have a Dac with optical in. I am looking around for a good Dac to stock which fits in with my current product range.......

I have another 3 coming in this coming week, pre orders being taken now, the factory are trying to keep up with demand!

Now in stock, credit and debit facilities available on this fantastic product.

I've a (stupid?) question. If you have an amp with tone controls, would you be able to plug the unit in and adjust the tone controls on your amp to match what the unit acheives, then remove the unit from your system, or does it do other things to affect the sound?