gjm

VHS to DVD copy

25 posts in this topic

I vaguely recall that there was some info on here about this: VHS to DVD copying. I had a quick search but it's been a helluva long day, and I didn't find anything.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. :hug:

Hi Graham,

Dunno how helpful this is to you but I did a small amount of transfers for friends & family a few years ago using my Sony dvd recorder H.D.R. The VHS tapes I transferred from were all commercial release stuff so should have been drm/copy protected but surprisingly all the transfers were fine with no issues. Had me puzzled:?. Esp given Sonys stance & heavy handed approach to drm. :td:

If you lived closer Graham I'd offer to give it a go, but its likely there will b someone closer too you who can help.

Chris oooooooooooooooooooooooot:D

Thanks Chris.

Copying to a hard disk is also an option... Unfortunately we have a large box of tapes and are sorting through them to decide what we can (or are prepared to) buy on DVD or BluRay, which we really don't need at all, and finally which we want to keep but haven't been re-released on another media.

Of course, I guess we could just buy a VHS player... :?

Thanks Chris.

Copying to a hard disk is also an option... Unfortunately we have a large box of tapes and are sorting through them to decide what we can (or are prepared to) buy on DVD or BluRay, which we really don't need at all, and finally which we want to keep but haven't been re-released on another media.

Of course, I guess we could just buy a VHS player... :?

We still regularly use our VHS player - some of the kids stuff would cost a fortune to replace, and why bother while the tapes still function. It's a good 'Nicam' stereo player, and the quality of picture is good enough for the little ones to enjoy.

:^

Lol John,

Mines on top of the wardrobe in spare b.r. , the truth is tho' it would prolly still b in the living room if I didn't..........ahem :whistle:, have such tech/equipment overspill probs..lol , although I guess this means I do know where to draw the line....sometimes:rofl:

Chris oooooooooooooooooooooooooooot:D

I do - if required for us - just connect your/our VHS via SVHS or SCART into your hardware-grabber (which obviously works with our/your OS...).

Play/record using usually grabber-suitably-supplied software to format of your/our choice (I like stuff I can legally record free on my paid-for (£18 NERO video add-on).

Make pigging DVD-+R-RW of whatever format etc you choose, OR VCDr or rw.. Back-up at least 5 times all salient vid. etc files ....

Enjoy in DVD etc player.

I do - if required for us - just connect your/our VHS via SVHS or SCART into your hardware-grabber (which obviously works with our/your OS...).

Play/record using usually grabber-suitably-supplied software to format of your/our choice (I like stuff I can legally record free on my paid-for (£18 NERO video add-on).

Make pigging DVD-+R-RW of whatever format etc you choose, OR VCDr or rw.. Back-up at least 5 times all salient vid. etc files ....

Enjoy in DVD etc player.

Unfortunately I only have a laptop that I use (or my phone) and no 'proper' computer or I'd do some tape-to-disc stuff myself. <sigh>

A laptop - old like mine, or new - can be successfully mated with e.g. relevant OS-compatible grabber-thing.

My 5 yr old Vista lappie is too 'new' to use with my ancient XP grabber, so I grab on an ancient brilliant XP Vaio.

I know one can buy grabbers that would work with e.g. my Win 7 things, but I have no need to, as I save about £19/use if necessary aforementioned 2003 XP Vaio/£49 TV card-grabber combo/save/convert to whatever I want/backup many times/burn to VCD-SVCD or DVD/whatever ...

Good luck in your choice - a good local dealer will - I hope - assist helpfully.

Essentially, apart from processing-GFX-memory in your lappie-computer, the OS is the thing ...

That will be fine for most things, but anything macrovision protected you won't be able to copy. Best way in general is VCR to hard disk in dvd recorder, then copy to dvd. For copy protection you need a device to strip out Macrovision, fewer tapes than you think are protected. Graham, message me for more info.

... still recommend suitable - e.g. £19 last time Aldi-Lidl were flogging them - hardware grabber-thang.

Almost went and bought one a few days ago, as I could not be arsed to mate my cable-box HDD ITV HD footie-recordings into distant XP-grabber-PC combo, but downloaded the torrents (including Sky HD version) instead ...

Although I cannot be arsed to make them into DVD-whatevers. If I did, I would use one or more of my many PC DVD recorders (7 or so recorders - bugger BD though) . As suggested above, others prefer more expensive 'less flexible' stand-alone units.

And of course you need to obtain/learn how to use the free or commercial software to do what you want ... I use once in a blue moon paid-for Nero video codec, and VideoRedo suite.

Hi Graham, I have been looking in to this for some time, as have a lot of early Jap anime on tape that never made it onto DVD. Was initailly thinking of transfering straight to PC, via something like the Hauppage HD PVR. But then as I have over 50+ to go through, and would want to burn to DVD for backup anyway, have decided it's going to be a lot easier connecting the VHS to the DVD/HDD recorder and just pressing record, rather than worrying if I need to interupt the process, if I need the laptop for other use etc. Now just to work out which model to go for :roll:

I've decided that in the short term it's easier to live with having a VCR! I will​ get around to transferring them, though.

Fine decision.

I with two many PCs etc datiing back to 1989 in this house use a MSI XP grabber from maybe 2003 to transfer VHS-BETA-whatever onto digital via 2003 WinMX lovely Sony PC. Occasionally apart from 5 digital HDD back-ups I make VCD or DVD or similar.

I still however recommend checking out e.g. £19 Win 7/whatever device ...

And as name-dropped above, using one for current USB Freeview PC recordings, I would not be averse to paying more locally (with warranty of dosh-back if didn't perform) for a Hauppage with video-in socketry.