ob1

Analog to digital converter for LP transfer

23 posts in this topic

I just dig out my old 7 inches (easy tiger!) and really would like to transfer them all in to digital format. Being me, I would like to get close to the best analog sound as possible, I already own a yamaha hard drive thing which will take an analog input but I rather would use my Mac mini as, I would imagine, it will be easier to rename the tunes and organise all the songs in folders.

So has anyone here done a Vinyl Rip before?

Do I need an ADC or extra soundcard of some sort? Which software should I be looking for? I hope someone could help :)

thx

OB

You will need either a sound card with A/D ,Lynx would be a high quality choice, or a seperate A/D box, for software audacity is popular.

Keith.

I just dig out my old 7 inches (easy tiger!) and really would like to transfer them all in to digital format. Being me, I would like to get close to the best analog sound as possible, I already own a yamaha hard drive thing which will take an analog input but I rather would use my Mac mini as, I would imagine, it will be easier to rename the tunes and organise all the songs in folders.

So has anyone here done a Vinyl Rip before?

Do I need an ADC or extra soundcard of some sort? Which software should I be looking for? I hope someone could help :)

thx

OB

I take it your 'Yamaha Hard Drive Thingy' is a CD recorder.

Record your singles to the hard drive of this device and drop them onto a CDR.

Take the CDR to your computer and play around with the digital files to your heart's content.

Job done!

Or you could read the manual of the Yamaha and do the same tricks with that device, though it is a little more tedious.

Mull

Thx Mull, but...but if I recorded on to CD then would it be going through Yamaha's average DAC first? I would like to take this to the MAX, not to mention I have over 700 singles....ripping all that on to CD could be a nightmare.

Keith, hi :) I will look into Lynx (I have 2 cans in my bathroom!) sorry I shouldn't joke really, this is a serious matter.

VinylStudio is wot I use, totally brilliant, versions for mac/pc , if you need both versions the second license is half price.It has all the features you mention & loads more too. Will link to various d.b.'s to download Album art/track listings etc so sorted for "tagging", suite of tools manual & auto for editing/cleaning up de-clicking etc if necessary/separate set of tools for recording from tape:cool: Fab value at around £30'ish & can be got cheaper if you do a search for coupon offers or third party sellers, a useful saving for a little legwork. Paul Saunders is the softwares developer, really helpful chap, I've had speedy responses on B.H. W/ends when I've expected to be contacted the following week.:^

You can record straight to flac, set bit rate/wordlength etc , U.I. is good & easy to learn & the metering is decent & I've tried a few & not all are & it's kinda important.

A decent Pro Audio interface is the way to go. This is my new one http://www.thomann.de/gb/alva_nanoface_black.htm , an Alva Nanoface, got mine last week as I've been waiting for it to come onto the market & I was previously using a Cakewalk(Roland) UA1G which I've made some excellent recordings with. However the Nanoface is much better in terms of controls/meters/flexibility/build & connections it comes with phono ins/outs on the "Breakout cable" but there is an option for a fully balanced breakout cable.

Mine was £162 from Thomann, not bad as list is £250. Not used it much as a recorder yet tho' as I've being taking a break from that but when used with the Lappy outputting recordings I've made into my Dac it does sound better than the cakewalk so early days but I like it so far:geek:

Later Fella

Chris oooooooooot:D

p.s. (ACTUALLY MORE OF A FULL ON LATE EDIT)

I've got no issues with using Audacity/Others(I've Played with a few open source/Licenced Pro Suites too) on S.Q. grounds. BUT I will say this if you want to use one of these, then it will turn into a LONG WINDED, TOOTH PULLING EXPERIENCE:roll:. VinylStudio is a true One stop solution that is designed 4 the job & once mastered can turn the process into a pleasurable task.

On some threads in the past, when I've dared to suggest paying 4 V.S. as an alternative to using Open Source(Free) Audacity, I've been hazed a little by some:roll:. It makes me smile tho' , esp. in the light of some of the cheapskate comments aimed at me in my recent t.t. belt thread(FYI tho' this was started as "A bit of Fun" , & actually it was & I learned some useful stuff too :^:cool::D).

The truth is I got busy last year & managed to record over six hundred l.p.'s:^ , so I do know what I'm talking about & t.b.h. I just don't think I could have made this sorta headway if using audacity

The Behringer UCA-202 is great for this. RCA inputs from your phono stage (or the tape out on your pre) and USB output to the PC, straight into Audacity. Supports bit rates up to 48k.

The UCA-202 is about £20, Audacity is free. Behringer even do a model with a built-in phono stage, but I suspect it isn't great! The DAC/ADC chip seems to be pretty good.

Thanks Chris and MIB, seem like some great advises, I will investigate.

Anyone else have any more tips please let me know :flowers:

Hi, Is the Analog Ripper from Wales still around?

Bruce

Not sure who he is but there is a scottish wammer use to do analog rip, I couldn't remember his handle name though, something fish?!

If you are reading this mate ;-)

All you need to do is to connect an aux out such as tape out to the blue socket on a sound card on a pc. Download Audacity (Free open source software) and away you go. Then export from Audacity to wav format if you wish you can convert this to FLAC to save about a third of file size. I find recordings of LPs at standard 44.1/16 sound better than the commercial CD version of the LP.

:doh:

He's said he doesn't have a soundcard & is using a mac. He's also said what feature set he wants. No one is denying this can be done with audacity. I've used it myself but having to import etc. & not have all the features you need in one piece of software can turn out to be a Royal PIA.

:peace: Fella, please read the OP properly & what has been said since.

Cheers

vacdac:)

Hi, Is the Analog Ripper from Wales still around?

Bruce

This is the wrong forum, but I don't think another act has been committed since 1889 and they never found out who he was.

Yup Mibby,

Totally agree but OB1 did say what feature set he wanted & VS does it all in one nice easy package, as said I've tried many of the alternatives inc Audacity. VS is properly thought out in terms of what vinyl/tape home recorders need. The UI is brill & the workflow that is possible with this software.......franky leaves Audacity for dust...no way would I go back to using Audacity. We're not exactly talking arm & a leg money for VS either.

The Behringer and Audacity will both work fine with a mac.