Pianoman

Help with audio on new Panny tv

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Just got a new Panasonic Viera and the only audio out is a digital socket. I'm not sure how to get the sound through my conventional hifi separates (Rotel amp and Tannoy M1s) as in the past I just used a simple rca lead into the Rotel. I presume this digital out is for an AV amp, so does that mean I have to buy one of those big things? I have been using the headphone out (not ideal) and I tried using my Behringer USB dac but to no avail.

Any help much appreciated.

Well Richer Sounds do a £40 DAC, but it is likely that the digital output may be multichannel, which a 2-channel DAC will not be able to play. I would explore the manual of your TV and see how much you can configure it.

You may be able to get a cheapo AV amp off ebay, of you could try plugging your Sky/Virgin box and/or DAV/Blu-ray player into the amp directly. Bit of a palaver though.

I presume you have Scart sockets on the back.

Use a scart adaptor/splitter with Audio Out.

Argos item no 534/9687.

The Panny TV's usually have a fixed audio out (stereo RCA) what model do you have?

There's no scart, just loads of HDMIs and no rca sockets, which annoyed me. So it seems everything audio-related is supposed to come out of the digital out.

Model is TX-L32E5B (new-ish range)

Yes it seems that way from a quick flick through the manual, or alternatively, use the headphone out with a 3.5mm to RCA phono cable.

You could just pick up an older legacy AV receiver and use digital out into the AVR, then the pre outs from that into your amp. I got an Arcam AVR200 for £50 and its perfect for that kind of thing.

There's no scart, just loads of HDMIs and no rca sockets, which annoyed me. So it seems everything audio-related is supposed to come out of the digital out.

Model is TX-L32E5B (new-ish range)

Use AV1. Panasonic sell an adaptor (optional extra) Part No K1HY20YY0011. This converts AV1 to a scart.

Then as above scart/splitter box with L/R Audio out.

Just checked the lead is available on The Panny site.....£9.94

Just looked at the manual online. Go into the setup, go to sound and set the "SPDIF selection" to "PCM"

This will force the digital output to standard stereo which should work with any DAC.

Buy a cheap MD deck off Ebay, feed it the toslink SPDIF, hit record button and enjoy a cheap DAC. £20-30. You can also record audio from TV if required and enjoy that played back from the MD deck.

Hope all is sorted/am rather glad for mo that our Pannie TV (excellent/5yr warranty) is 4 yrs old. I SOOOO would love to bollock-about with a myriad of connections etc when all we might wish to do is watch/hear TV.

It is possible - as I/millions of others do - to use tellie for watching/other devices for listening/recording/whatever. Be SMART.