nomismo

Interconnects,Balanced or single end.

22 posts in this topic

I can only speak as I find and for me XLR wins all day long.

Only recently started using them between an EMC1UP CDP and a Sugden amp... gives a much bolder defined sound.

Cheers

Mac

Ultimately it depends what circuits are behind the XLR sockets. It is perfectly possible to have single ended circuits behind XLR sockets, and this is useful as it separates the signal reference from the safety ground, which is a good thing. I would recommend Dave Davenport's article http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/163575-audio-component-grounding-interconnection.html for an very good discussion on the subject.

Depends on the system. My Victor DAC sounded great running balanced into the Sugden Masterclass integrated, but TBH it sounds a lot better running single-ended into the amps I have now.

My system will run both balanced and single ended. When you set up single ended and open the attenuators to max and put our ear to the speakers you can hear both hum through the bass/mids and hiss through the tweeters. Repeat this in balanced mode and the speakers are silent.

Yep, tis a suck it and see jobbie.

Definitely a 'suck it and see' jobbie.

I have heard kit with XLR and Phono and preferred phono and vicky vercky.

The only gear I've personally owned where I could compare was Krell/Micromega and preferred phono BUT the cables weren't the same make so an unfair test.

I have never heard kit where the cables were the same. That would be the test would it not....but then we are down to the old chestnut 'Personal preference'.

Ok,

Thanks to you all for your answers, very interesting reading, full of good advice.

I am glad i didn't open a debate on the virtues of different cables, as i imagine

from previous posts this is very much down personal taste's.