Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duvet

Esbjorn Svensson Trio

23 posts in this topic

Admin

Well much lauded Jazz trio from Scandinavia. Any good any reco's

Not many new jazz bands surviving the world of Brit-pop and Take-La-La-That these days but EST sure are one of the top. Have their latest CD and it's very nice... abit like a mind f**k... the songs are atmospheric, build up and take you on a roller coaster ride. Too bad I missed them on their last gig at the Barbican last year. Apparently they were amazing... jammed out and doing odd things like playing straight on the paino strings...

Why do you ask?

JJ

Admin

Ok apart from my crack cocaine habit ( i'm addicted to Dire Straits):D i refuse to be hemmed in and occasionly try to spread my wings. I see this lot mentioned alot in the hifimags so any good reco's would be appreciated.

I've only starting listening to them... got their latest - Tuesday Wonderland. Still enjoying it too much to start going through their back-catalogue... that's the thing with jazz, it keeps growing on you. You could always Pandora them. :P

JJ

Admin

Cheers Jonjin:dude:

Tuesday Wonderland is a really good album.

If you likeyour jazz with a rock flavour,try also The Neil Cowley Trio. I actually prefer them to e.s.t. but they are similar. There are samples from their album "Displaced" on their website and on their myspace site.

MySpace

http://www.neilcowleytrio.com/

Happy listening

Jim

Jimmy Moff wrote:

If you likeyour jazz with a rock flavour,try also The Neil Cowley Trio. I actually prefer them to e.s.t. but they are similar. There are samples from their album "Displaced" on their website and on their myspace site.

MySpace

http://www.neilcowleytrio.com/

Happy listening

Jim

Thanks for the heads up on this. Listen to the music on-line and it is something that I think I would probably be able to get into quite easily - and they are appearing 'live' in my neck of the woods in a couple of weeks :)

A big :^for "Seven Days of Falling", although I prefer Bugge Wesseltoft's "Moving" and "Sharing".

If you like, other artists to check out ....

Jan Gabarek

Nil Peter Molvaer

And in a similar vein but with an Arabic slant....

Anouar Brahem Trio

But I'm currently listening to Supertramp, so my taste is suspect.

other good est albums:

winter in venice, melodic piano, original music that classic est sound

seven days of falling, as above but a bit harder

est live, this is where jazz is for me, live recordings, improvised one take give it some passion, again as above but a bit harder still

please, please also try

anders widmark - waiting for a train, soulful piano, great three piece jazz band and some tuneful vocals as well, totally recommended

tsc,

jazz, nice.....

I have four EST albums.

Seven Days of Falling

Strange Places for Snow

Viaticum

Tuesday Wonderland

I particularly like Seven Days of Falling and Viaticum. I reckon Seven Days of Falling is a good place to start...

As mentioned, Bugge Wesseltoft's 'Moving' is a very good album. Different to EST and more like jazzy dance. Fantastic rhythms...

I have a couple of Jan Gabarek albums. 'Madar' is particularly good - has a Middle Eastern feel (and Anouar Brahem on oud). Very atmospheric.

stickman wrote:

Anouar Brahem Trio

Nice band... my fave album from them is 'des par la nuit' or something like that. But much much more different than EST. We're talking an oud, flute and some arabic percussion players here ;)

JJ

I was listening to Tuesday Wonderland last night and thought some of the live bits (on the 2nd cd) were rather 'wild'.

It would appear they like to add distortion to some of their recordings. Makes their sound more distinctive I suppose...