mmar

Ryan Adams tour

52 posts in this topic

I was at Nottingham last night (reasons mentioned earlier) and I'm glad you guys really enjoyed the concert. I'm no fan of Ryan Adams and I have to admit to only knowing about him because my son gave me a few of his CDs which I've only listened to a couple of times, so maybe that was the reason I never seemed to get involved with the music last night. The venue was good, acoustics seemed fine and yes he played well, but I just couldn't engage with him. The others in our party seemed quite happy with the night, some RA education needed on my part.

bit off track guys but if you like the stripped back sound of the current tour another fave songwriter of mine within the same camp , Matthew Ryan the album concussion one word awsome in everyway !
Awesome album to be sure!! others..

Josh Ritter... Animal Years, Justin Townes Earle- Harlem River Blues- Josh Rouse- 1972

AA Bondy- American Hearts, Drive By Truckers- Southern Rock Opera

Whiskeytown- Pneumonia

Damien Jurado - Saint Bartlett

My daughter who is only 15 nearly 16 said you can feel he's lived each and every song . I liked the way he poked fun at himself as well . After playing some very melancholic songs he mumbled into the mike that he was trying to get all the quick ones out of the way so we could get to the ballads . Very dry .

He is very funny. I have a whole collection of his rants/meltdowns if anyone wants those too. :)

My daughter who is only 15 nearly 16 said you can feel he's lived each and every song . I liked the way he poked fun at himself as well . After playing some very melancholic songs he mumbled into the mike that he was trying to get all the quick ones out of the way so we could get to the ballads . Very dry .

Very insightful comment by your daughter Dan - we liked the crack before Firecracker about the song being about a guy who was intent on getting a grope - words to that effect - and how the rest of the show would deal with the rejection.

Currently enjoying a Sprite and white Magnum Before he comes on stage at Sheffield

That was an excellent gig, all the best off Heartbreaker plus some of the more melancholy stuff from the other albums and a couple off the last two albums, which sounded better without the band backing. A word of warning though, do not a cougher or prospective Ansel Adams be, he really does not take kindly to interruptions once he starts strumming. Very funny he nailed a couple of people.

The silence waiting between the songs was spooky, not had that before at a gig, the expectation was thrilling. It was a shame I was at the back and to the left, it still sounded stunning and took my breath away really.

Ryan can write a tune, sing a tune and captivate hundreds of people.

Thanks Ryan:notworthy:

The silence waiting between the songs was spooky, not had that before at a gig, the expectation was thrilling. It was a shame I was at the back and to the left, it still sounded stunning and took my breath away really.

Ryan can write a tune, sing a tune and captivate hundreds of people.

Thanks Ryan:notworthy:

Good point Lee, I saw Ryan at the Barbican last summer and I'm used to halls full of scousers who can't keep quiet but you could have heard a pin drop that night.

I'm really happy about the positive comments, RA is on a (fairly short) mental list of bands/people I've wanted to see perform for years but for whatever reason never have.

Can you test him TR and ask him to do Sweet Carolina please, I'm sure he's in your phone ;-). And all of the new album ! Ok, I feel lucky there.

Hes not on my speeddial, but his old band mate, Caitlin Cary(from whiskeytown) is. Ive pretty much got everything hes ever done (loads of stuff outside of what has been released!)

if you want me to send you some, im glad to...

got dozens of amazing versions of that song.

i bet Si's recording was great. !

That was an excellent gig, all the best off Heartbreaker plus some of the more melancholy stuff from the other albums and a couple off the last two albums, which sounded better without the band backing. A word of warning though, do not a cougher or prospective Ansel Adams be, he really does not take kindly to interruptions once he starts strumming. Very funny he nailed a couple of people.

Si, are you uploading to the archive? id love to hear it, man. how did you record it(gear, etc)?

the ryan adams archive would love to have it im sure!! he is real cool about sharing, thank goodness!

Just listening to the Ed Sullivan Theater 2011 gig on the archive site. Wow just how good can one man and a guitar sound. I can't think of much on this earth I would rather listen to. Just beautiful.

True talent.

Last night I was reflecting over dinner with my daughter and one of the (many) facets that we so liked about Ryan was the tonal variations and textures in the voice which so add to the anguish and overall ambience surrounding his music. Particularly apparent to me on If I am a Stranger.

Strat